• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got to say - it's great to hear opportunities coming in, and 9/10 outside of IR35.

I think we possibly got what we wanted - the companies stopped taking the easy advice of the 'consultants' and actually made their roles outside of IR35, in name and in spirit. Everybody wins.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      I've got to say - it's great to hear opportunities coming in, and 9/10 outside of IR35.
      Maybe in a very specific market, but virtually all roles I'm seeing are Inside albeit with a slightly higher rate to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Maybe in a very specific market, but virtually all roles I'm seeing are Inside albeit with a slightly higher rate to compensate.
        Kind of same but I'm thinking more 70/30 inside to outside so in the middle of you both. Nearly 100% for public sector though. Not too many increased rates from what I can see.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just finished my contract on Friday and looking at the market.... Outside more common than last time I checked and Inside rates starting to improve a little. Looks like it will be a few weeks until I land my next contract and could even take a couple of months.

Comment

I think we possibly got what we wanted - the companies stopped taking the easy advice of the 'consultants' and actually made their roles outside of IR35, in name and in spirit. Everybody wins.
            yeh i agree, the gov is sent away red faced. well done yall

Comment

Any thoughts on day rate uplift for inside? I'm seeing figures around 17-20% (if it's negotiable) for public sector but not for private. Role is mainly remote with occasional onsite.

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
                Any thoughts on day rate uplift for inside? I'm seeing figures around 17-20% (if it's negotiable) for public sector but not for private. Role is mainly remote with occasional onsite.
                There is no standard so pot luck, as is the amount. Not all companies are doing it and from what I have seen it's only public sector minus some odd examples in private. It certainly isn't standard accross the board. Generally your tax problems are not theirs. They pay the same amount whether you are inside or outside so they are under no obligation to uplift it. The only reason for them to do it is to continue to attract the best contracts and not be left with the dross when the good ones find outside gigs.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sitting on £700 p/d Outside until April. Really can't complain.

Actually, I can. Hays are the intermediary at the moment and are absolutely shocking.

Meant to be self-billing paid weekly. Some weeks completely missed, others arrive late.

First time in my contract life I've thought about taking a pimp to court. For now sending chaser emails every other day will have to suffice...

LONG LIVE THE BULL MARKET!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

There is no standard so pot luck, as is the amount. Not all companies are doing it and from what I have seen it's only public sector minus some odd examples in private. It certainly isn't standard accross the board. Generally your tax problems are not theirs. They pay the same amount whether you are inside or outside so they are under no obligation to uplift it. The only reason for them to do it is to continue to attract the best contracts and not be left with the dross when the good ones find outside gigs.
                    Thanks. Coming back to the market after a 2.5 year hiatus (Brexit and COVID were the least of my concerns) that put things into a fresh perspective.
                    Also used the calculator. It seems a c. 30% markup would be needed to receive the same net as outside.

I'm seeing mainly inside roles and this one is inside or perm. Just missed out on an outside role but rates were lower so... Have another local FTC 6mo opportunity that might be an easier way back after being out of the game for so long.
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 7 July 2022, 17:38.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
                      Sitting on £700 p/d Outside until April. Really can't complain.

Actually, I can. Hays are the intermediary at the moment and are absolutely shocking.

Meant to be self-billing paid weekly. Some weeks completely missed, others arrive late.

First time in my contract life I've thought about taking a pimp to court. For now sending chaser emails every other day will have to suffice...

LONG LIVE THE BULL MARKET!
                      feel for ya man, slummin it at 700 pd Ourside

beggars can't be choosers

Comment

Working...
                      X