• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

Security for 1.
    A general dislike of any risk of overseas tax offices asking awkward questions for another.
    if its outside contract, there is no employee insurance

Comment

The recruiter had no clue either and went back to talk to the client. Unfortunately he didn t call me back so it means a "no"

I'm not the only one clueless. Why crossing border immediately increase risk? I'm not going to work in a hostel with people behind me. But if that was the issue or privacy or data leak, it can happen as much inside the UK than outside.

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post

if its outside contract, there is no employee insurance
        In that specific case it was inside IR35. So insurance could have been the main issue. However I wouldn t class that as security risk but a legal one instead.

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
          The recruiter had no clue either and went back to talk to the client. Unfortunately he didn t call me back so it means a "no"

I'm not the only one clueless. Why crossing border immediately increase risk? I'm not going to work in a hostel with people behind me. But if that was the issue or privacy or data leak, it can happen as much inside the UK than outside.
          It's all about risk and there is a lot to be considered when you are taking client kit or accessing client systems and data from outside the UK. Much of it probably won't make sense to you but it's got to be assessed, understood by the client as they are ultimately responsible. I'm sure there are data laws and such like that need to be considered, your contract is also governed by UK law so if you arn't in the Uk that opens a can of worms as well. So many factors other factors to consider it just becomes too much for a client to bother about. They may for an employee but not for a contractor so the answer is UK or no. It's not totally unreasonable.

Could also be out of the clients hands such as insurances and the like. Could be something to do with the type/sensitivity of the data. Most gov departments won't let their data out of the country so you going aboad isn't going to work. It's possible with dispensation but why would they do that for a contractor?

You maybe right whatever happens is just as likely to happen in the UK but the client knows the situation and can stomach that risk. Once it goes abroad who knows what can pop out of the woodwork when it goes wrong and the risk to the client legally, reputationally and whatever goes up.

Just because you are a contractor it doesn't give you the god given right to work where you want for clients. If they don't want it, for whatever reasons they have, and plenty of reasons, then so be it. Might not make sense to you but it will to them and that's that.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 10 November 2021, 23:08.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Anybody else noticing that the physical pace of recruitment has slowed, or am I just being unlucky? (Or lucky in the past)

Got a few plates spinning, but everybody seems to be dragging their feet. A few years ago if I didn't have an offer on the table within a week of hearing about the role, I could usually write it off as never happening but it's taking a week plus just to get in front of the client for a chat

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Anybody else noticing that the physical pace of recruitment has slowed, or am I just being unlucky? (Or lucky in the past)

Got a few plates spinning, but everybody seems to be dragging their feet. A few years ago if I didn't have an offer on the table within a week of hearing about the role, I could usually write it off as never happening but it's taking a week plus just to get in front of the client for a chat
              It's not just you, I'm experiencing the same. Everything is taking at least twice as long.

Comment

Isn't it the time of the tear where it starts to get slower? They are preparing for next year budget or so.

Comment

Isn't it the time of the tear where it starts to get slower? They are preparing for next year budget or so.
                  If it does get slower it's not budgets. More like furlough periods stopping work so no point taking someone on to start for two weeks then go on three week furlough till next year.

The whole point of planning budgets is they are there all year. Business needed projects don't slow down because of budget planning.

Comment

Hasn't furlough stopped since the 30th of september? May not be budget but can't see how furlough would impact business now and not earlier

Comment

Hasn't furlough stopped since the 30th of september? May not be budget but can't see how furlough would impact business now and not earlier
                      That's covid furlough. I must admit I hate the term furlough so not sure why I used it. I mean asking contractors not to work during business protection periods at xmas. There is usually long change freezes starting as early as mid Nov to focus on keeping the business working at the busiest time of the year so no need for the contracts if they can't change anything. Some clients ask contractors not to come in as early as first week in Dec. Minimum is week before xmas till Jan this year for most I'd say.

Depends on your industry but certainly true for retail.

Comment

Working...
                      X