• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwah View Post

Note that although they are happy with fully remote they want you to be in the UK. I've got refused after my interview because I told them I was abroad even thought I have an address in London and is settled in UK
    Yeah, judging by the many job specs I've read the majority want you to be in the UK. A small number of companies have a more liberal approach and clearly state in the job specs you're free to be based anywhere as long as you are within 1-2 hours from UK timezone.

One reason they want you in the UK, but this applies mainly to permie roles, may be in regards to sending hardware. I don't know, maybe they can't/don't want to go through the hassle of sending laptops to Europe. Who knows..

Comment

Note that although they are happy with fully remote they want you to be in the UK. I've got refused after my interview because I told them I was abroad even thought I have an address in London and is settled in UK
      Please stop trolling the forums.
      You're now changing your story to say that rather than thinking of travelling, you already are, and now the contracts are disappearing.
      Shock, horror, if clients recruit a resource in the UK, they expect a resource in the UK unless told otherwise. Someone who sleeps in a tent or a hostel with a client laptop is a security risk. The client can't insure for you being in NFA. You won't have business insurance for NFA.
      Plenty of reasons why they won't want to employ you at UK rates for an unreliable offshore resource.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Having just been de-boomed I will be taking a closer look at the market.

I might take a seasonal Christmas job. Already ruled out getting a HGV licence.

Comment

if your a uk tax resident, why does it even matter

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Having just been de-boomed I will be taking a closer look at the market.

I might take a seasonal Christmas job. Already ruled out getting a HGV licence.
            Santa needs his little elves to help out in the grottos. Little red outfit trimmed with white, be polite and cheerful for all the needy little spoilt brats lovely children at xmas.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post

if your a uk tax resident, why does it even matter
              Security for 1.
              A general dislike of any risk of overseas tax offices asking awkward questions for another.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Santa needs his little elves to help out in the grottos. Little red outfit trimmed with white, be polite and cheerful for all the needy little spoilt brats lovely children at xmas.
                Polite and cheerful? You've met me; do I meet those criteria?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Polite and cheerful? You've met me; do I meet those criteria?
                  I'm sure you can turn it on for the interview, or turn up pissed. You were actually quite tolerable when you were drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Security for 1.
                    A general dislike of any risk of overseas tax offices asking awkward questions for another.
                    That was exactly the point the recruiter raised. Apparently the client said no because of security. I told him I can't see how it can be a higher security risk whether I'd be working remotely in Brighton, which would be authorised as remote work, or if I'm in the South of France which they are refusing.

Comment

That was exactly the point the recruiter raised. Apparently the client said no because of security. I told him I can't see how it can be a higher security risk whether I'd be working remotely in Brighton, which would be authorised as remote work, or if I'm in the South of France which they are refusing.
                      Huh? Are you really that clueless?

It's that level of idiocy that keeps Dave B raking the dollars in.

Comment

Working...
                      X