• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I am not sure where you are coming up with this. Nobody will fire you for not providing an P45, it is just nonsense.
    You overpay or underpay and get it back at the end of the year. Emergency tax code is fine also.

How are you a good contractor and not have the ability to circumvent nonsense?
    I know people who have sacked people who have no P45. A P45 is proof of several things.
    1) That you actually had the last job on your CV.
    2) That you haven't lied about your salary.

Whilst it may not be mandatory to provide a P45 for legal reasons, it's also not mandatory for the employer to not suspect that you're up to something dodgy.
    In this exact case we're talking about it is dodgy.

And there's no need to start handing out abuse. I've not made an personal accusations against you. Keep that tulipe for General.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I know people who have sacked people who have no P45. A P45 is proof of several things.

Whilst it may not be mandatory to provide a P45 for legal reasons, it's also not mandatory for the employer to not suspect that you're up to something dodgy.

And there's no need to start handing out abuse. I've not made an personal accusations against you. Keep that tulipe for General.
      But the guy in question is an ex contractor. Might not have P45 or operated payroll, eg only took divis from Ltd.
      The new company will be aware he is an ex contractor status.

Now a perm hire with no P45, that might well be considered a red flag.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If they had to call you then I'd agree
        I didn't even have myself as open to new roles, they were just fishing around I guess. If you're a recruiter in the BI space, at least take some time to understand the various roles within it, i.e. the people that you'll be searching for.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Lied about your salary and proof of your previous job? Why would you tell them your previous salary?
          Are you sure you are actually a contractor and not a 12y old spamming this forum?[/QUOTE]

Contractors have only minimum wage on their payroll and the rest as dividends. What do you think they would find useful out of that information?

Also there are people that manage other things and have additional income from different sources. Self employment. Management companies. Of course you would not want to disclose that.

If a company would fire you for not disclosing how much you are earning than that is a big red flag and you shouldn't be there in the first place, they want a wage cuck and they want you to come for it every month and not dare contradict your manager because your entire financial situations depends on it.
          That is how modern slavery works and the West is full of it.

Most of the issues I have found so far were with companies being less upfront about the role, trying to oversell or push you into corners.
          You sell your experience and time for a wage, you do good work and get paid, they are not signing you up to be the next Pope.

If you are sensitive about what other people say in regards to your posts, maybe it is because there is a reason for it.
          It is a forum for free speech and sharing information. If someone thinks what I say is nonsense, not only I won't be bothered by it, I EXPECT TO BE CALLED OUT in the interest of accuracy. Nobody knows who I/you are so why should we care? The purpose here is to share information.

Comment

Another one who thinks you are talking absolute nonsense.

Years ago I asked a couple of accountants I'm acquainted with about what companies do if you don't have a P45.

I was told that the people doing payroll can just contract HMRC to get your tax code and they can work out your previous PAYE earnings from there as they can see the amount of tax you have paid.

However loads of companies can't be bothered and just emergency tax you.

​​​​​​So if a company wants to find out who a previous employer or client was the best way to do that is ask and get a reference.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Started looking for new gigs this weekend. My market looks worse now than it was back in January. I don't even know how that's possible, I didn't think it could get worse

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                Started looking for new gigs this weekend. My market looks worse now than it was back in January. I don't even know how that's possible, I didn't think it could get worse
                it's holiday season now... people will take time off. not sure when it will end but maybe wait a few more weeks. it was picking up strong before june and confident will do the same after holiday season.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

it's holiday season now... people will take time off. not sure when it will end but maybe wait a few more weeks. it was picking up strong before june and confident will do the same after holiday season.
                  Hope you're right, although I think it's more than just holidays. Re-connected with my usual agents today and it seems a lot of the standalone recruiters they had on the interim desks have been shafted. Apparently there's been a lot more permie hiring vs. contracts.

Comment

I"ve not needed to look for a job for 9 yrs now but starting to, apart from LinkedIn profile where is good these days to upload cv to or still just jobserve ? I'm up for both contract or perm and is the market really that bad in the south ? I have in demand skill set data, big data, BI, Python, ML/AI etc but not getting any bites for things I apply for.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      The actual issue for the person with two full time jobs would be double use of NI allowances - although I'm not sure how that would play out.
                      If you do two jobs with 2 different employers you get double NI allowances. It is not like income tax where you only get one.

Another weird thing about the NI allowance is it is allocated weekly, not annual. If you earned say 10K in a single a month and then quit you would pay a lot more NI than if you worked a full year and earned the same 10K over 52 weeks. There is no overpayment or refund like there would be with income tax, it is by design.
                      Last edited by Fraidycat; 15 June 2021, 07:03.

Comment

Working...
                      X