• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Because people fail to recognise the basic truth. You have to stir people up and make them revolt against the establisment to have change.

otherwise you’ll have the same generations of happy go lucky mindless corporate stooges that fail to understand basic concepts of this world works.

everyone wants to think they are doing well but everyone is in debt over their head with no assets. Most of the people are 3 paycheques away from living on the street but they buy themselves swanky mochas and have bourgeois alure of middle class.

55k is the poverty line in most of london boroughs or SE and unless you have more than 65k you won’t be able to go even close to home ownership in SE unless your parents are rich. 400pd is a joke even for an outside contract.

Frankly, I can’t see why more people revolt...
    ....because they move to a more affordable part of the country. London was always expensive apart from a short period in the 1990's.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

We hit 10k jobs in jobserve today, the first time since before the 2020 lockdown.

Its still 150% off but it’s well above the 2,900 trough we saw at the bottom of the bear market.

Comment

On the subject of Jobserve, how in gods name have they managed to maintain their position as one of the biggest UK job boards?

Their site is appalling: slow, unreliable, dated looks and tech and generally years behind the competition. Same goes for their app which is inexcusable. I know they got in early in 1993 or 94, but it seems like it's barely changed since then.

Thought this was interesting - new jobs added to JobServe on Monday 30 June 1997: https://web.archive.org/web/19970131...t/jobserve.txt
        Last edited by ensignia; 11 May 2021, 00:24.

Comment

They are not the only one. It's amazing and rather ironic, how bad many job boards and recruitment firms' websites are. So often even basic things like search functionality doesn't work very well or you can't filter by obvious things like day rate.

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
          On the subject of Jobserve, how in gods name have they managed to maintain their position as one of the biggest UK job boards?

Their site is appalling: slow, unreliable, dated looks and tech and generally years behind the competition. Same goes for their app which is inexcusable. I know they got in early in 1993 or 94, but it seems like it's barely changed since then.

Thought this was interesting - new jobs added to JobServe on Monday 30 June 1997: https://web.archive.org/web/19970131...t/jobserve.txt

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
            They are not the only one. It's amazing and rather ironic, how bad many job boards and recruitment firms' websites are. So often even basic things like search functionality doesn't work very well or you can't filter by obvious things like day rate.
            Spring admitted to me that the unique e-mail addresses on each job don't work and you can't contact any of them by phone. The recruiter actually told me I should have figured out his e-mail address using their domain and his name and that was the only way to get in touch (although oddly they don't mention that on their site or on any boards).

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Spring admitted to me that the unique e-mail addresses on each job don't work and you can't contact any of them by phone. The recruiter actually told me I should have figured out his e-mail address using their domain and his name and that was the only way to get in touch (although oddly they don't mention that on their site or on any boards).
              Done both of those a million times so is usually the case in my experience. You could add in ring any of their locations if they are a big recruiter and ask for that person. Usually they are fine to give out any phone or emails you need. You could argue if you can't ring them or work out their personal mails then contracting isn't for you
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Starting a two month contract on Monday. Actually going to have to go to an office for the first time in about 14 months.

Comment

I was thinking... do we have a thread about agencies/employers to avoid?

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
                    what??? who?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
                      No. There isn't one about clients either. It would be pointless to do so and might Admin in hot water as well.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X