• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've noticed something, which is that if I'm ever offered an interview with the "Head of Business Analysis", that person is always a complete and utter robot.

Crack a smile, please.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post

£100 a day extra nowhere near made up for being brolly in my experience
      FTFY

Not all inside rates are the same. There's a big difference when you're on PAYE and the clientco is paying their own Employer NICs.
      Comparing PAYE rate vs outside day rate aren't that bad from a pure take home perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        clientco is paying their own Employer NICs.
        That will lessen the pain a bit.

But how common is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

That will lessen the pain a bit.

But how common is it?
          Just tried searching Jobserve for "PAYE" and returned about 120 results in the UK over last 7 day. Those are just the ones that specify how the payment works.
          Its well worth asking when an agent calls about inside roles. If its Agency PAYE then keep listening and double check the advertised rate is the PAYE rate, not the brolly rate.

The confusing ads are where they say something like £500/day PAYE/Umbrella. Clearly they should have two rates in that case with the brolly version being the higher one. Weirdly I've been told by one agent that the rate is the same either PAYE or Umbrella, so in that case PAYE wins hands down.

Comment

I finally "started" my gig at a large Tier 1 IB yesterday. They're having IT issues and still have been unable to get me access to the company systems. Apparently they had a global IT problem and have had to re-submit my requests for approval again.

My manager told me not to worry, set me some relevant "reading" and told me to bill as normal.

Anyone else had any such issues? Appreciate it's more of a covid era problem, so not many people will have experienced this!

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
              I finally "started" my gig at a large Tier 1 IB yesterday. They're having IT issues and still have been unable to get me access to the company systems. Apparently they had a global IT problem and have had to re-submit my requests for approval again.

My manager told me not to worry, set me some relevant "reading" and told me to bill as normal.

Anyone else had any such issues? Appreciate it's more of a covid era problem, so not many people will have experienced this!

carry on reading and invoicing.
              Does the lack of system prevent you from getting timesheets signed?

I'm not sure that Covid can be blamed for a new starter not getting access on day 1. It's pretty common in my experience.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

carry on reading and invoicing.
                Does the lack of system prevent you from getting timesheets signed?

I'm not sure that Covid can be blamed for a new starter not getting access on day 1. It's pretty common in my experience.
                No issue with timesheets. There is a separate system for timesheets (SAP Fieldglass), for which an account has been set up for me and I have access.

First time I've encountered IT issues to this extent! Hopefully you're right that it's common Although I'm more than happy to play video games and keep billing...

Comment

Your what?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is this your first gig?

The majority of clients I've worked with have been unable to set up accounts in time for day 1. It's got nothing to do with covid and everything to do with poor onboarding processes.

Some won't even start the process until day 1 and your bum is on their seat.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Your what?
                      Reading materials related to the job. There is nothing else I'd be able to do unless I have access to the companies systems.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Is this your first gig?

The majority of clients I've worked with have been unable to set up accounts in time for day 1. It's got nothing to do with covid and everything to do with poor onboarding processes.

Some won't even start the process until day 1 and your bum is on their seat.
                      4th gig but first contract for a large IB. Done only permie work for IB's before.

I never knew that was common practice thank you, that makes me a little less stressed. Maybe I've been super lucky with IT in previous gigs.

Comment

Working...
                      X