• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

You should post a question on the Business forum about whether you can do your permie job and the contract at the same time - if only to wind NLUK up.

Aye, no chance, mate.

I'm moving back into permie land specifically because I want a cushy job where I can do as little as possible. Having a contract on the side would just hinder my plan

Comment

Just had interesting call.*

It was for development services to a well nown bank with a 4 latter acronym as their name as the ultimate end client. Inside IR35, working for errm Infosys.

It's as if our Bob friends don't seem to have the capacity or skills to provide capable service, despite their claims of having vaunted degrees...

* Not really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          In a market governed by supply and demand I can fully accept that some people will be in more demand than others, but at the risk of being cynical I am very dubious about people describing the market as booming. The country has just suffered it's largest drop in economic output in 300 years.
          According to the stats the overall contract market is down about 50% down on this time in 2019.

Anecdotally if you are struggling to get interviews its going to feel a lot worse than down 50%.
          And on the flip side if you are getting interviews it is going to feel like the good times are back.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
            Just had interesting call.*

It was for development services to a well nown bank with a 4 latter acronym as their name as the ultimate end client. Inside IR35, working for errm Infosys.

It's as if our Bob friends don't seem to have the capacity or skills to provide capable service, despite their claims of having vaunted degrees...

* Not really interesting.
            I work with Infosys everyday. Some folks are really good, others are bad, no different from an onshore team in a big PLC.

I believe they have issued a blanket inside for all contractors in the UK. Not surprising considering their links to HMT

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              Contract market suddenly booming, right when I'm about to go permie. Agents have been messaging me on linkedIn for the last 2 days with different contract opportunities. They seem pretty desperate because when I say I'm off the market they ask if I can recommend anyone (which they hardly ever did before).

The roles they talked to me about are all for public sector clients, all outside ir35 and paying from 350 to 450 a day. Not too shabby to be honest.
              I wouldn't describe the market as booming but some parts of the public sector like central government, local government and higher education have been reasonably resilient in recent months.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Anecdotally if you are struggling to get interviews its going to feel a lot worse than down 50%.
                And on the flip side if you are getting interviews it is going to feel like the good times are back.
                Correct. It's strange that I provide my services to a public sector client without SC. Doesn't need one at the moment at least. But a friend of mine who holds SC is finding it difficult to get a role. But I must state that he is in testing domain while I am in data engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

Correct. It's strange that I provide my services to a public sector client without SC. Doesn't need one at the moment at least. But a friend of mine who holds SC is finding it difficult to get a role. But I must state that he is in testing domain while I am in data engineering.
                  testers rarely handle production information. So there's less need for SC.

And he doesn't "hold SC". His previous sponsor has SC clearance for him, that will expire within 12 months, or earlier, of him leaving.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Well it looks like I'm dipping my toe into the ugly world of finding the next gig. How's it looking out there?

Comment

Was tempted, but I get a bad vibe, can't think why...

https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/find-...5A573D8B97B40/

Comment

Working...
                      X