• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why would aN agency / end client care about BBBLs?
    Where did I say they would?

I was just saying that June would probably be the same period when the other enlightenment might occur. What with, I believe, the majority of such loans being taken out and, I believe, many contractors either not working at all, or only through PAYE schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      They probably should have thought of that!
      Can I ask, They being who?

The Govt, the lender, the lendee?

Comment

Sadly, I am not a DevOps engineer

"Hello Rocktron

Hope you are well.

I am urgently seeking a Devops engineer and Devops Lead to join one of my growing clients based in South Wales.

The roles are 6 month contracts, outside IR35 and will be fully remote working. The client is looking to set up interviews from Monday next week."

It is not local to me. I wonder how they can declare outside IR35 for 6 months, but that is somebody's problem. No idea about contract rates. Some of you might be looking and interested. This is from Computer Futures. Mr. P. Mitchell

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          Can I ask, They being who?

The Govt, the lender, the lendee?
          All of the above but I imagine the lender ultimately isn't that bothered as it is underwritten and a lot of lendees knew exactly what they are doing.

Comment

Hi all,
            I've had a chat with a recruiter today, he is from Hydrogen Group. He says there is a role with a major bank, through a small consultancy company. He says the role is outside IR35 cause the consultancy is delivering service and taking the full risk of not delivering it. He said to make sure it is outside they will be withholding 10% of the day rate until the end of the contract, i.e. delivery of the output that'll be described in the contract (I'm assuming this will be in form of a SoW). When it comes to that, I'm planning to get Qdos contract check service to make sure it is an outside contract. Although, I wanted to ask if you think this might be a solution to stay outside IR35? I feel like it might reduce the risk but not eliminating it wholly. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by aposto View Post
              Hi all,
              I've had a chat with a recruiter today, he is from Hydrogen Group. He says there is a role with a major bank, through a small consultancy company. He says the role is outside IR35 cause the consultancy is delivering service and taking the full risk of not delivering it. He said to make sure it is outside they will be withholding 10% of the day rate until the end of the contract, i.e. delivery of the output that'll be described in the contract (I'm assuming this will be in form of a SoW). When it comes to that, I'm planning to get Qdos contract check service to make sure it is an outside contract. Although, I wanted to ask if you think this might be a solution to stay outside IR35? I feel like it might reduce the risk but not eliminating it wholly. What are your thoughts?
              The withheld money in its own right won't affect your IR35 status.
              It could be argued that you are accepting a financial risk, but I'm not sure that would hold up to any real scrutiny unless it's very clear in the SOW what the terms are for it to be paid or not. And if the SOW is clear enough there's no need to withhold money.
              Beyond April it's your client's (in this case the consultancy) to determine the IR35 status (assuming they are not small) of your engagement. So it's in their gift really.

I would consider this a 10% rate reduction and run with it from there.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Spoke to a recruiter on Friday, where he told me they have no live gigs on the books at the moment. Today he posts 2 contract roles with a perfect fit for my CV (bread and butter stuff - usually when these kinda roles pop up the agencies call me ASAP).

We need a fishing emoji

9/10 recruiters I've spoke to in the last 2 weeks were simply marketing fake roles and fishing. Many of them are ghosting aswell - had two calls arranged, and the recruiters didnt call me or pick up.

Contemplating doing some direct marketing. Clients clearly do not want to pay for agencies at the mo.
                Last edited by sira; 19 January 2021, 17:07.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                  Spoke to a recruiter on Friday, where he told me they have no live gigs on the books at the moment. Today he posts 2 contract roles with a perfect fit for my CV (bread and butter stuff - usually when these kinda roles pop up the agencies call me ASAP).

We need a fishing emoji

9/10 recruiters I've spoke to in the last 2 weeks were simply marketing fake roles and fishing. Many of them are ghosting aswell - had two calls arranged, and the recruiters didnt call me or pick up.

Contemplating doing some direct marketing. Clients clearly do not want to pay for agencies at the mo.
                  Oh!! that may be the reason why from 5-6 recruiters I haven't heard anything back after having the first chat and giving them consent to be represented. They don't even respond to my chasers on Linkedin. That's frustrating!..
                  How about Upwork, or PeopleperHour? Anyone got a good gig from those?

Comment

Got offered some tuppence ha'penny work today. Said no thank you.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                      Slovakia Hungary and a few other European places are certainly much cheaper than London. Lithuania as well
                      Ok, I think you are not very well informed.
                      I will take just as example Lithuania as I know the market situation very well there:
                      Good senior developer salary ~ 60k-120k EUR per year. Not sure how that is 2x-3x times cheaper.
                      That does look like a typical UK salary.
                      You will really have difficulties finding a decent one for less.
                      Contract - 400-500 eur per day - outside IR35 with 0% first year corporate tax and 5% later. 15% dividend tax.

Comment

Working...
                      X