• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sira View Post
    We'll all be dumpster diving soon, the way things are going in this country.
    this tbh

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      Just heard my contract is ending on February 4th as the client is running out of money. Onwards (on Monday, I shall allow myself a brief period of mourning).
      Tough break Seagull but at least the timing is better and you won't be on the bench for a whole year like some of us did last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
        at least the timing is better and you won't be on the bench for a whole year
        The optimist in me thinks things will improve in three or four months.
        But the pessimist thinks there is real chance the whole of 2021 will be tulip, because its going to take the economy a bit longer to recover even after the lock downs end.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          The optimist in me thinks things will improve in three or four months.
          But the pessimist thinks there is real chance the whole of 2021 will be tulip, because its going to take the economy a bit longer to recover even after the lock downs end.
          This is the new norm

Companies are hiring just as good resources from outside UK at 1/2 the price now - now 9/5 in the office has been blown apart

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            This is the new norm

Companies are hiring just as good resources from outside UK at 1/2 the price now - now 9/5 in the office has been blown apart

That suggests that most UK resource just isn’t very good then.
            I’ve never felt threatened by offshoring because I offer value for money that is not available offshore (I’ve no idea why it’s not but it just isn’t).
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
              I am sorry to hear that SussexSeagull.

I wish you best luck.
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                Sorry to hear that too.

Is the company legit running out of money (ie risk of bankruptcy) or are they just cutting costs during the recession, so your project has run out of funding?
                By the sound of it - bearing in mind I have never physically been in an office with these people - they just haven't got the money coming in at the moment so are cutting anything that isn't nailed down.

I tend to find when start ups have to go down that path it tends to turn into a death spiral as they can't compete with what they have left.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                  Tough break Seagull but at least the timing is better and you won't be on the bench for a whole year like some of us did last year.
                  I was out between June and November. Hopefully will be a bit better this time round.

Comment

This is the new norm

The companies I've been talking to in the last couple of years, and not all have been in the UK, want some UK people and don't want to leave everything to those from certain other countries in Europe and Asia. This is due to a mixture of quality, trust in governments, infrastructure issues and time zones.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This is the new norm

Not entirely true. ClientCo are recruiting within the UK and taking on a blend of contract and perm resources.

As ever, it's industry dependent.

Comment

Working...
                      X