• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The market seems ok in terms of job opportunities but it seems companies are using the circumstances as an excuse to pay less. Actually I might be talking nonsense and there actually is far less demand - or maybe the truth is in between... Either way, I’ve decided to go perm just due to being offered a pretty good 6 figure salary as there appears too much uncertainty post April.

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
      Either way, I’ve decided to go perm just due to being offered a pretty good 6 figure salary as there appears too much uncertainty post April.
      Can you tell us which skills/role your new job relates to?

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
        The market seems ok in terms of job opportunities but it seems companies are using the circumstances as an excuse to pay less. Actually I might be talking nonsense and there actually is far less demand - or maybe the truth is in between... Either way, I’ve decided to go perm just due to being offered a pretty good 6 figure salary as there appears too much uncertainty post April.
        Well done. I’m assuming the first figure is at least a five, otherwise by definition it’s not a particularly good 6 figure salary?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          Can you tell us which skills/role your new job relates to?
          BA/QA.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            got another message on linked today...

Python Engineering roles - London - UNIQUE opportunity
            Dear GigiBronz,

Hope you are well and are staying safe.

I wanted to get in touch to discuss a truly unique opportunity to work as a Python Software Engineer

Benefits!:

-SET YOUR OWN HOURS (literally - no contracted hours)
            -London based HQ - currently remote working full time (and work from home available when normality resumes)
            -Unlimited holiday allowance (YES, Unlimited, no pay deductions)
            -Equity in the company!
            -Offices equipped with all of the trimmings to make it an enjoyable place to work: ping pong tables, gym, snacks and drinks (fridge and cupboard reloaded on a daily basis), barista coffee machine, games consoles, the works!
            -Monthly activities including: white water rafting, water parks, day parties, beach clubs, murder mystery and escape rooms.
            -Annual subsidized Ski trip
            -Access to our partners’ and clients’ festivals and gigs
            -Annual Global Retreat (you don't want to miss this!)

does that mean what I think it means? that we finally have 0h contracts in sw dev?

later edit: the recruiter is quite vehement that it is not a 0h contract, it just doesn't have any hours stipulated in contract.
            I remember reading the odd story about companies who tried an "unlimited (paid) holidays" approach and I think the upshot was the staff took less, not more, holiday days. I wouldn't mind finding a role at one of these companies, in the latter stages of my own career, and properly testing the limits.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
              I remember reading the odd story about companies who tried an "unlimited (paid) holidays" approach and I think the upshot was the staff took less, not more, holiday days. I wouldn't mind finding a role at one of these companies, in the latter stages of my own career, and properly testing the limits.
              We tried unlimited holiday for three years - here'''s why it failed.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yeah - more or less how I remember reading it, although I've never heard of that company. At the end of the day it is just a stupid idea, and the results somewhat predictable; unless you really, genuinely DGAF, in which case you'll probably be sacked, people will just take exactly the same amount of holiday that they always have. Far simpler to just give people more holiday, plus flexible hours and WFH. That's what would sell a permie position to me.

Comment

I like how in the article he brags about having best in class holiday ... they ended up offering 25 days holiday like 80% of companies out there do. Doesn't get any more standard than that.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    I like how in the article he brags about having best in class holiday ... they ended up offering 25 days holiday like 80% of companies out there do. Doesn't get any more standard than that.
                    Where did you get that? It wasn't in the article so did you download their policy?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Where did you get that? It wasn't in the article so did you download their policy?
                      Yeah I did because I was curious.

I do see now it says office closed over christmas as well which brings it up to 29 days + bank holidays. I guess thats a bit better than average but hardly best in class. My wife got 33 days plus bank holidays at her last job.

Their own document says average is 33.5 including bank so they're only 3.5 days above the average. I don't understand how someone could think 3.5 days above national average is best in class. I would probably use the term slightly above average rather then best in class.

Comment

Working...
                      X