• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Microsoft contracts, contractor rates and trends for Microsoft skills | IT Jobs Watch
    Jobs citing 'Microsoft', (advert count, percentage of all jobs) posted during 3 months to 12th October:
    2020: 2,163, 11.95%
    2019: 5,595, 13.57%
    2018: 6,307, 12.02%

Java contracts, contractor rates and trends for Java skills | IT Jobs Watch
    Jobs citing 'Java' (count, percentage of all jobs) posted during 3 months to 12th October:
    2020: 2,332, 12.89%
    2019: 4,347, 10.54%
    2018: 7,585, 14.46%

ALL Programming Languages:
    2020: 7,512, 41.51%
    2019: 16,839, 40.83%
    2018: 23,515, 44.83%
    how reliable is this. I’m the first column median day rate is 480 but the median hourly rate is £18. How should you read that

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Fair point although I think it's still a bit too early to understand the full impact of what is happening at a regional level.

Luckily for me I have worked in many different sectors including highly regulated ones like banking and pharmaceuticals and I'm also not a developer... my role will probably be the last to ever be outsourced or offshored but there is a lot more local competition for sure at the moment.
      I do find it amazing when people think all jobs can be offshores expect theirs. Are you wfh? If yes your
      Job can be done from abroad. That’s the facts. It’s just a matter of how much juice the lemon has

I’d love to be proved wrong with an example of a project that can only be done in the Uk by one specific individual

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        how reliable is this. I’m the first column median day rate is 480 but the median hourly rate is £18. How should you read that
        It's a continually checked consolidation of adverts so it isn't perfect but reflects trends. And the trends are clear adverts are a 1/3 of what they were.

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        I do find it amazing when people think all jobs can be offshores expect theirs. Are you wfh? If yes your
        Job can be done from abroad. That’s the facts. It’s just a matter of how much juice the lemon has

I’d love to be proved wrong with an example of a project that can only be done in the Uk by one specific individual
        Depends how good you are at your job - there are probably things in my field that I would only trust 5 or so other people worldwide to do correctly in a sane time frame.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          I probably wouldn't hire a contractor into a perm gig either.

Its your job to convince them it's a permanent move and you'll never contract again. Make sure to convey that the move is permanent and you are 100% sure. You will never even look at another contract ad again. You are closing down your company and taking ER. You are only applying to and interviewing for perm jobs. Helps if you can anchor a life event like getting married, having kids, or even buying a house. If you're older you can anchor it to your retirement, talk about how your an expert and you would like to settle down and really build something long term at an organisation.

Of course you don't always get an opportunity to say those things to client.
          I'd rather drink brake fluid

I have some private clients and some startup I'm trying to get off the ground, so now way i closing it

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Microsoft contracts, contractor rates and trends for Microsoft skills | IT Jobs Watch
            Jobs citing 'Microsoft', (advert count, percentage of all jobs) posted during 3 months to 12th October:
            2020: 2,163, 11.95%
            2019: 5,595, 13.57%
            2018: 6,307, 12.02%

Java contracts, contractor rates and trends for Java skills | IT Jobs Watch
            Jobs citing 'Java' (count, percentage of all jobs) posted during 3 months to 12th October:
            2020: 2,332, 12.89%
            2019: 4,347, 10.54%
            2018: 7,585, 14.46%

ALL Programming Languages:
            2020: 7,512, 41.51%
            2019: 16,839, 40.83%
            2018: 23,515, 44.83%
            That's an unteresting website, thanks. I see on there that Cobol has jumped 291 places over the last six months with the median salary up 20%.

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
              I'd rather drink brake fluid

I have some private clients and some startup I'm trying to get off the ground, so now way i closing it
              Yeah, I agree but that's the message that needs to be communicated if you want those jobs from the clients that care (some won't care and haven't been burned yet but hiring contractors to full time employment)

Comment

I probably wouldn't hire a contractor into a perm gig either.

Its your job to convince them it's a permanent move and you'll never contract again. Make sure to convey that the move is permanent and you are 100% sure. You will never even look at another contract ad again. You are closing down your company and taking ER. You are only applying to and interviewing for perm jobs. Helps if you can anchor a life event like getting married, having kids, or even buying a house. If you're older you can anchor it to your retirement, talk about how your an expert and you would like to settle down and really build something long term at an organisation.

Of course you don't always get an opportunity to say those things to client.
                I got lucky - current permie job recruiter wasn't bothered about this - although I do have a mixture of perm and contracting roles going back 20 years.
                Any sensible recruiter will realise that whatever anyone says, if there's a powerful incentive to restart contracting, some people will take it, and a few reassuring words upon recruitment ain't going to alter that.

Comment

Yeah, I agree but that's the message that needs to be communicated if you want those jobs from the clients that care (some won't care and haven't been burned yet but hiring contractors to full time employment)
                  burned how?

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                    burned how?
                    By leaving when they realise permies have to choose between paying their bills, saving money, or going on holiday. Most can only afford to do 1 and usually it's just pay the bills (if they're in london maybe not even be able to do that)

Comment

Originally posted by baen View Post
                      That's an unteresting website, thanks. I see on there that Cobol has jumped 291 places over the last six months with the median salary up 20%.
                      That’s because a lot have either retired or snuffed it from covid19 as old coffin dodgers mostly

And 80%+ of all core. payments systems in all banks still to this day run on cobol code

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X