• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    Whats your point PCTNN - That 90K in london is not much at all or something else?

Whats 90 after tax ? 5K ish?? Hardly much is it

Suppose mortgage and utils are 3K - What does that leave you
    ask your support teacher to explain it to you

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      The comment about people buying things they don't need reminds me of the saying "People do jobs they hate to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like." Maybe there's some truth in that.
      It might be some wild idea but I think there is some actual truth to it. We are all aware of Maslow pyramid of needs. The individual acting confused and seeking satisfaction in different meaningless activities such as: shopping on impulse, craving the unboxing feeling or feeling of a new gadget, seeking lasting relations on Tinder.
      It could all be related to a deficiency at the lower level of the pyramid, quote:
      If these "deficiency needs" are not met – except for the most fundamental (physiological) need – there may not be a physical indication, but the individual will feel anxious and tense.
      wiki link

Some could argue it is by design in capitalism and how the ruling class is keeping hold of the working people. It is how the poor stay poor because they seldom manifest "higher level" needs of esteem and self-actualisation for long periods of time to be able to progress in their field.
      Last edited by GigiBronz; 5 October 2020, 10:36.

Comment

As announced by the Chancellor last week, Self Assessment customers can now apply online to spread the cost of their tax bill into monthly payments without the need to call us.

The online self-serve 'Time to Pay' service, has been increased to £30,000 for Self Assessment customers, to help ease any potential financial burden they may be experiencing due to the coronavirus pandemic.
        maybe they could help by giving us our dividend tax back

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          It might be some wild idea but I think there is some actual truth to it. We are all aware of Maslow pyramid of needs. The individual acting confused and seeking satisfaction in different meaningless activities such as: shopping on impulse, craving the unboxing feeling or feeling of a new gadget, seeking lasting relations on Tinder.
          It could all be related to a deficiency at the lower level of the pyramid, quote:
          wiki link

Some could argue it is by design in capitalism and how the ruling class is keeping hold of the working people. It is how the poor stay poor because they seldom manifest "higher level" needs of esteem and self-actualisation for long periods of time to be able to progress in their field.
          Maslow's hierarchy of needs is just an idea he had. It's not a real thing with a strong evidence base.

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
            maybe they could help by giving us our dividend tax back
            Did you not get this bit on the email today also:

"If you set up a 'Time to Pay' arrangement, you will have to pay interest on the tax paid late. Interest will be applied to any outstanding balance from 1 February 2021"

Comment

Originally posted by rawly View Post
              Did you not get this bit on the email today also:

"If you set up a 'Time to Pay' arrangement, you will have to pay interest on the tax paid late. Interest will be applied to any outstanding balance from 1 February 2021"
              Had the first interview today past 6+ months on the bench. Everything went well, but...

Damn, 40K perm after 600pd (outside) for the past several years seems like volunteering for a local charity.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
                Had the first interview today past 6+ months on the bench. Everything went well, but...

Damn, 40K perm after 600pd (outside) for the past several years seems like volunteering for a local charity.
                That’s the new norm, that £40K role will be £30K come April when still in lockdown

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post

Either you were heavily overpaid as a 600 per day contractor or you are heavily underpaid at 40k.

Not a chance in hell I would move from 600 a day to 40k but that’s just me.

Is your warchest low and can you do anything else even non it

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                    Either you were heavily overpaid as a 600 per day contractor or you are heavily underpaid at 40k.

Not a chance in hell I would move from 600 a day to 40k but that’s just me.

Is your warchest low and can you do anything else even non it
                    I know of MVPs who have very little work on at the moment having cut their rates to ones that make me got ouch / that's stupidly cheap depending on whether I'm competing for the work or looking to purchase some consultancy.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      I know of MVPs who have very little work on at the moment having cut their rates to ones that make me got ouch / that's stupidly cheap depending on whether I'm competing for the work or looking to purchase some consultancy.
                      ^^ I made a very similar argument on LinkedIn yesterday. Some people just don't get that others *have* to work.
                      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                      X