• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any good news, new contract / perm sorted out for any of you guys?

Mine is 6-months in bench as of tomorrow!

Absolute silence in the market, no calls whatsoever so far in the past few weeks certainly.

Having said that, I am getting slowly busy with my own plan B business and turning it into my mainstream.

It will take time of course to make it profitable... so it has kind-of become meaningless now to say I am in bench, when I think about it in a positive way, and it makes me move on in life and not to about contracts/jobs in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post

Absolute silence in the market, no calls whatsoever so far in the past few weeks certainly.

Having said that, I am getting slowly busy with my own plan B business and turning it into my mainstream.

It will take time of course to make it profitable... so it has kind-of become meaningless now to say I am in bench, when I think about it in a positive way, and it makes me move on in life and not to about contracts/jobs in the future.
      I’m trying plan B also But slow going on my onlyfans accounts

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        Not sure today's announcement about WFH is going to make much difference as most companies seemed to ignore the return to the office request anyway.
        And long may that continue... stuffy clients that have refused or been difficult about WfH for years suddenly have no problems...
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
          Well that was a long 18 months, out for various reasons. Then 6 weeks ago was offered a nice role back as BA 5 miles from home, but WFH for now, only just got confirmation to start on Monday. Then an ex-client phones this morning saying "how about a Monday start, but it's only a TA role, again WFH. Similar rates and 6 month length.
          Presumably, you Have taken both roles. And you Will make them just work?

If so, congrats x 2.

Comment

While not concrete, as in No contract and Not started, I am due to start on Monday on one role.

And another looks as though it is also coming through.

Of the first, I will start even if without contract as the outlay and risk is zero and have been promised the start date will commence from Monday irrespective of when the contract comes in. Really do not want any reason to trip this up.

Of the second, if it happens, I hope this will have a start date to offer two weeks respite to sort the excitement of the first out into something comfortable.

It will have been six months for me too, so there is ground to be made up.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Majority of the youngsters that were paying £1200++ a month each to share 6 bedroom houses with 1 bathroom have moved back to the shires and a few to warmer countries for the winter

1 chap has an entire 6 bedroom house to himself as everyone else is gone and landlord can’t get replacements - he once had a wait list of hundreds, he has 8 houses like this all empty

I’m thinking about giving him and his type a 2 min round of applause to support them in hour of need

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              well these types I have 0 sympathy for

Comment

Just got the email. Back to bench from 5th Oct. Projects are getting canned everywhere.

It's not strictly 4 weeks notice as agreed but that's ok, I am fine with it.
                Last edited by BigDataPro; 24 September 2020, 10:01.

Comment

Started a short bit of PAYE work to last until end of the year. Was also going through interview process of another PAYE contract, but that went quiet and recruiter said they have cancelled me and the other candidates + it appears as though the job has vanished.

Assuming this finishes in Dec and doesn't get cut short, that would mean only 4 months out for me in 2020 which in the grand scheme of things isn't that bad.

I don't have many posts here but I've been lurking for years, and before discovering this forum I never had a warchest or anything like that - so thank you guys, if I didn't have one it would have made this year a lot more stressful!

Comment

Three weeks into permie job, trying to battle against inertia of accountant to close down ltd.

I didn't want it to end like this, but this time around I was less than 2 years into contracting, on generally crap rates so had not had much time to build a warchest.

Permie job isn't bad - I preferred contracting but all PSC based gigs have vanished and I am not doing FTC or umbrella - it's LTD or nothing - and there was nothing so back to Permie.

Comment

Nah feck all here as well, was hopeful for two contracts, Ireland and Denmark, both awarded to other peeps. Had an interview with Amazon yesterday, perm job, only 5 weeks after I applied and only a short 10min screening, so I wouldn't be surprised if the next stage is in December.

Time to get absolutely hammered me thinks.

Comment

Working...
                      X