• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in everyone's opinions on my situation....

Current contract ends in December. (bang on 2 years) Client co is on a big permy drive. (I'm helping them to find people now, several already accepted offers) Through the grapevine I hear managers are struggling to get contractors renewed.
    My area of expertise is supporting a certain end-customer who has given notice to client co which ends in September.
    Besides that, I've made good friends with some C level bods who are desperate for me to get involved in their projects but they've not been able to pinch me away from this client. However they keep making noise about having work for me to do but nothing firm.

It feels like it's winding down and naturally after 2 years I'm feeling stale, but it's easy money and I'm grateful I'm sat around at home on calls even if it's sometimes incredibly tedious.

I had an offer come up this week for a European fintech/insurer/integrator which is 100% remote, with 2-3 weeks on-site initially for an extra £150 than what I'm billing now. They've been clear they are mostly perm workforce and they need "freelancers" for 6 months to help close out a project which has already been running for 18 months.

The lazy part of me says.... string out the contract and hope they don't dump me in September but let me finish up in December. Why risk a good paying client for another in a different country in the current climate?

The other part of me says.... an extra £150 is not to be sniffed at, it could be a great experience, I tend to make a good impression and clients and typically end up finding things for me to do when inevitably the projects are concluded.

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
      Interested in everyone's opinions on my situation....

Current contract ends in December. (bang on 2 years) Client co is on a big permy drive. (I'm helping them to find people now, several already accepted offers) Through the grapevine I hear managers are struggling to get contractors renewed.
      My area of expertise is supporting a certain end-customer who has given notice to client co which ends in September.
      Besides that, I've made good friends with some C level bods who are desperate for me to get involved in their projects but they've not been able to pinch me away from this client. However they keep making noise about having work for me to do but nothing firm.

It feels like it's winding down and naturally after 2 years I'm feeling stale, but it's easy money and I'm grateful I'm sat around at home on calls even if it's sometimes incredibly tedious.

I had an offer come up this week for a European fintech/insurer/integrator which is 100% remote, with 2-3 weeks on-site initially for an extra £150 than what I'm billing now. They've been clear they are mostly perm workforce and they need "freelancers" for 6 months to help close out a project which has already been running for 18 months.

The lazy part of me says.... string out the contract and hope they don't dump me in September but let me finish up in December. Why risk a good paying client for another in a different country in the current climate?

The other part of me says.... an extra £150 is not to be sniffed at, it could be a great experience, I tend to make a good impression and clients and typically end up finding things for me to do when inevitably the projects are concluded.
      Take a 3 week holiday from current client, join new client, return to home working , do both contracts at same time

Or did I miss understand you were a contractor and not a permietractor for client 1 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Take a 3 week holiday from current client, join new client, return to home working , do both contracts at same time

Or did I miss understand you were a contractor and not a permietractor for client 1 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        It's a great suggestion. It's easy enough to juggle a bunch of consultancy gigs which I already do but these guys are specifically looking for hands on crunch time delivery and I try not to over-promise myself and work too much to a)stay sane and b)happy wife(happy life)

That being said... There is opportunity to contract out some of the grunt work... The double booked meetings are a pain though. I've always been upfront with clients about my time but have gone into this one where they've been v. clear about what they want.

Comment

An agent sent me a role of which the description looks like perm and also the rate looks like perm (half the market rate for particular set of skills)... and they claim "no it is outside, you will have substitute clause".

Comment

4 months on the bench now and still no interviews, only a handful of callbacks. Best thing I've found thus far was some £45k perm garbage. I'm not giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post
              4 months on the bench now and still no interviews, only a handful of callbacks. Best thing I've found thus far was some £45k perm garbage. I'm not giving up.
              why not take up a wfh permie job untill you find a contract

Comment

Some positive news for IT workers:

REC have put together a Jobs Recovery Tracker to track new jobs posted via the recruitment industry as we emerge from lockdown.

There is also a Press Release giving some additional insights

(17th July 2020)
                • Total number of job postings in the UK grows to 1.05 million
                • Rise was most pronounced in north-west England, with 125,000 job postings in early July
                • Growth in demand for IT professionals, graphic designers and LGV drivers
                • Demand falls for teachers, dentists and fitness instructors

The number of job postings across the UK continued to rise as lockdown measures were eased in early July, according to the latest figures from the Recruitment & Employment Confederation (REC).

The total number of active job adverts was 1.05 million in the week of 6-12 July, up from 990,000 in the final week of June. There were also 106,000 new job adverts posted in the week of 6-12 July, 14,000 more than the week of 22-28 June.
                Key stats for IT professionals:
                Week on week change of unique job postings up to 12th July:

+15.5% Web design and development professionals

+ 6.6% Programmers and software development professionals

Bad luck though if you work in a Gym

- 8.8 % Fitness instructors

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

REC have put together a Jobs Recovery Tracker to track new jobs posted via the recruitment industry as we emerge from lockdown.

A lot of job listings are totally fake though! I doubt there is much demand for any IT staff right now with so many furloughed & expected to lose their jobs soon sadly!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

It's necessary to know how many jobs were truly lost in northern England to then compare if these new 125000 jobs - if they are indeed new, or job ads posted again, or agent phishing - is a large number. I wouldn't doubt that many companies wanted rid of poor performers and have sacked lots of those people only to reopen roles, perhaps with a change of job title but core work being the same. It happened 11 years ago and will happen again.

Comment

I took one of those very low rate (outside) contracts a few months ago. Up for renewal at the end of the month, and been offered a 3 month extension with only a very small increase.
                      Project complexity has exploded and the workload is increasing. I tried to work out a deal for a bigger increase to get back to market rates because of this, but client is having none of it.

I'm 90% sure i'm not going to extend, but got a few more days to think about it

Comment

Working...
                      X