• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
    Slightly off topic but the take-home tests and subsequent presentations for applications are now really starting to take the p155.

They all say only spend an hour or two but they usually take a full day. I was chatting to one guy and he said he even reviews the commit messages in detail.

Then you pass the test and second interview is now a presentation. Again a full day to prepare, had one recently they contacted me after said I had done great but please be patient as HR is rubbish. 3 weeks later auto response from HR - Application rejected. Not even a thanks!

My currently role had 150 applicants. It was a presentation and 2 hour interview (online) - presentation based upon the job title so a total guess at what to pitch.

Loads of hipsters in IT now unfortunately, who think knowing obscure regex's is more important that social skills and a good work ethic. They set stupid tests to try prove their brilliance yet are unable to wash or dress properly and still live with their mum!

Thankfully I'm out of development now hopefully for good!
    Amen to that. I got rejected for a role based on a test that was testing my ability to complete two tasks that had nothing remotely to do with the job at hand nor did it give me a chance to show what I know. They were nice enough to give me feedback, but they suggested I read a book about unit testing when in fact, I'm a strong proponent of, and a systematic user of unit testing tools for at least two decades. They also suggested I learn OOP principles, when in fact I wrote a compiler for an OO language - so not only do I know OOP through and through, but I know how it works "under the covers" so to speak. But between the paucity of their tests and the awkwardness of the questions from the interviewers, they completely failed to see any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
      Amen to that. I got rejected for a role based on a test that was testing my ability to complete two tasks that had nothing remotely to do with the job at hand nor did it give me a chance to show what I know. They were nice enough to give me feedback, but they suggested I read a book about unit testing when in fact, I'm a strong proponent of, and a systematic user of unit testing tools for at least two decades. They also suggested I learn OOP principles, when in fact I wrote a compiler for an OO language - so not only do I know OOP through and through, but I know how it works "under the covers" so to speak. But between the paucity of their tests and the awkwardness of the questions from the interviewers, they completely failed to see any of that.
      My last gig, the office was quite close to Monzo and it they did something it must be right as look Monzo have done it.

I tried to bring up into the conversation their recent data breach or the fact they can't turn a profit. Any idiot can start and run a business that doesn't make money.

Fell on death ears! Sprint goals changed, new tech introduced.

I've got a couple of plan b's to get out of IT all together before I shave off someones beard!

Comment

Did you consider giving them feedback on their process? You'd need to think of a way to make it sound constructive rather than sour grapes for not getting the role. The company may be unlikely to change as a result but are even less likely to if no-one mentions their approach is sub-optimal. Obviously it won't help you so I can understand not wanting to bother.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Did you consider giving them feedback on their process? You'd need to think of a way to make it sound constructive rather than sour grapes for not getting the role. The company may be unlikely to change as a result but are even less likely to if no-one mentions their approach is sub-optimal. Obviously it won't help you so I can understand not wanting to bother.
          I did write an email that I never sent in the end for the very reason you mentioned: I could see no way to express my thoughts without sounding like I was justifying ways to preserve my hurt pride at their expense. And also, I had given them enough of my time already, I had no desire to engage with them any longer.

These tests I think are a way to quantify something that's hard to quantify. So if they hire a dud, they can always say "But he passed out stringent tests!" as opposed to taking the full blame via a personal interview process.

Comment

Should have just asked them how many of them had taken the ISTQB Practitioner's exam never mind passed it!

Comment

The next step after spending 3 days testing and interviewing is you must do a month of unpaid work to see how you fit in.

Based on what is happening in the tech industry (at least in the UK) I am working on an escape plan to leave the UK and hopefully IT for good.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I did write an email that I never sent in the end for the very reason you mentioned: I could see no way to express my thoughts without sounding like I was justifying ways to preserve my hurt pride at their expense. And also, I had given them enough of my time already, I had no desire to engage with them any longer.

These tests I think are a way to quantify something that's hard to quantify. So if they hire a dud, they can always say "But he passed out stringent tests!" as opposed to taking the full blame via a personal interview process.
                Even though I did not get the job, it is a shame you that your don't seem to treat your recruitment as a haphazard annoyance rather than giving it the care and attention it deserves.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post

Fell on death ears! Sprint goals changed, new tech introduced.

Comment

quit while your ahead bro, this market is the pitts

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                      The next step after spending 3 days testing and interviewing is you must do a month of unpaid work to see how you fit in.

Based on what is happening in the tech industry (at least in the UK) I am working on an escape plan to leave the UK and hopefully IT for good.
                      pls share that plan once you execute it or are near too

Comment

Working...
                      X