• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by founder View Post
    pls share that plan once you execute it or are near too
    That's a bit cheeky!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      That's a bit cheeky!
      1) find nice country abroad
      2) move there....

Personally I find the winters in Europe far worse than Britain so there isn't that many options that provide work opportunities.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Did you consider giving them feedback on their process? You'd need to think of a way to make it sound constructive rather than sour grapes for not getting the role. The company may be unlikely to change as a result but are even less likely to if no-one mentions their approach is sub-optimal. Obviously it won't help you so I can understand not wanting to bother.
        I interviewed with a place where the first stage was one of those online platforms that use a hosted IDE to write the code.

3 coding problems which needed an implementation & unit tests. You could choose language. First was some basic string manipulation, second was a tree traversal problem, and the third I just wrote in the editor "not doing this as I've spent a full evening doing the other 2". You get no starter code and have to write everything from scratch.

I obviously passed as I got a second face to face interview, which the pimp said would not be technical as I already did that part. It was with 2 other coders.

First question - "so why are you a contractor" - sigh

Second - "Why did you choose to do the assessment in C# when this is a frontend JavaScript role"
        (Genuine answer was I thought it was the best tool for the questions)

In between all the main questions, one of the coders kept jumping in and asking me really left field questions about how the C# compiler works, Why would you do X instead of Y.

Third - *brings up my code on screen* "lets walk through your code and see what you would do differently"

I thought I had batted all their questions back at them pretty well, but I got to this point where my gut was already saying that this place was going to be a nightmare to work with.

When they asked "do you have any questions" I spent about 15/20 minutes saying what I liked and what I didn't like about their process - all in a positive, constructive way, no shade at all.

I didn't hear anything back, and didn't get any form of response from them.
        Last edited by ResistanceFighter; 7 September 2020, 09:25.

Comment

Originally posted by rca View Post

What should we do? Change CV a bit to apply for Development manager role as I used to be a programmer. Start driving Uber or just try to get a perm job?

There I'm all done
          we are mostly screwed until Greater London reopens properly as that’s where 80% of the work comes from.

I reckon that won’t be until next April unless the governments position changes.

Plan finances accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
            we are mostly screwed until Greater London reopens properly as that’s where 80% of the work comes from.

I reckon that won’t be until next April unless the governments position changes.

Plan finances accordingly.
            If you expect to be working in central London, the earliest will be October 2021 - more likely April 2022 once everyone has had vaccinations with an approved vaccine.

If you have a skillset you really do need to work out how to sell it directly or find something else to do.

Comment

State of the market September 2020 btw. is the same as it was in May 2020 and be summarised thus:

“£25k Leeds”.

Comment

we should make another thread with: "best of 2020 job search compilation" where we make a selection of the best quotes around here.

I don't see many people mentioning about the start-up scene? Not too many roles there or just people ignore them because they know they are pure sh1t?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  we should make another thread with: "best of 2020 job search compilation" where we make a selection of the best quotes around here.

I don't see many people mentioning about the start-up scene? Not too many roles there or just people ignore them because they know they are pure sh1t?
                  A startup using contractors has money to burn - they don't exist in the current market.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    A startup using contractors has money to burn - they don't exist in the current market.
                    My experience with start-ups is that they're generally looking for the "will work for food" brigade (i.e. young pups with enthusiasm to burn and who are still living with mum and dad.)
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                      My experience with start-ups is that they're generally looking for the "will work for food" brigade (i.e. young pups with enthusiasm to burn and who are still living with mum and dad.)
                      Not always but mostly - the main thing is that few contractors are going to find work from them...

Comment

Working...
                      X