• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I'll tackle these two points separately.

In response to the first, I did say that there were significant criteria for this. It's a big "if" whether or not those would be met. That's not even taking into account other factors, such as decent permie promotion to take dev contracting off the table as financially pointless. I'm currently a lead/principal dev so next step up is management; get that and there's no point looking at contracting.

In response to the second, that is, with respect, generalist horsepoop. Every contract that you consider applying for is done on its merits. You would be accused of living in a fantasy world of having two offers on the table to choose from! If there's only one on offer and nothing has turned up that wouldn't stop you taking it, you'd take it, depending on your warchest. If my normal rate inside (these are just examples) is £400 in the north west, but I was offered £500 inside in London, I'd negotiate on the amount of time I had to spend in London. Part weeks, alternate weeks, etc. Often if a firm want you and accept they cannot move on rate, they'll move on other things. If I can get alternate weeks, for example, then I've got what's left after tax on £1000 per week to get down and back. Even if you drive without a mileage claim, that's only about £30 in diesel return. You could even buy a cheap Ford Focus, use it for the contract then flog it so you're not racking up miles/wear and tear on your own car. Another £30 to park the car on the outskirts for the week, tube in, then cheap digs for four nights. A fair bit of hassle, but it's easy enough to make it still work and be better financially than you'd expect. It also beats being on the bench.
    Consider an income of £XXX always beats £0.00.

I like the point of the Ford Focus, probably cheap as chips, because some one who is furloughed may desperately want to off-load that second car in return for cold hard cash.

The bigger hassle in this economy 2020 is staying safe and secure from infection. Invest in masks for public transports, buses and tubes. Invest in lightweight mountain biking gloves with velcro straps. You can stuff in a jacket pocket in the summer. Obviously in the winter get leather or thermo gloves.

Also you might want to go to better than average hotel or spare room, which is clean and has evidence of the cleaners cleaning and wiping. Like LondonManc said, well it is your own hassle budget, only you know what you can tolerate for you and your family.

Good luck.

Comment

Make room on the bench - I will be with you all come the 31st July That terrible moment when you do too good of a job and the system goes live with no issues lol

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
        Make room on the bench - I will be with you all come the 31st July That terrible moment when you do too good of a job and the system goes live with no issues lol
        make sure you plant some while you are still there...

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          Don't feel bad - client and agency will have a positive view of you now.

I know positive views don't pay the mortgage, but... your agency may see you as a preferred client for their next enormous project.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            I'm currently a lead/principal dev so next step up is management; get that and there's no point looking at contracting.
            Why would you be going back to perm at that point? I'm on a similar track, senior dev right now looking to move up to lead/principal followed by management. Is it simply that the salary/bonus/benefits package at that level is attractive enough to lure you away?

Comment

Originally posted by Shezz View Post
              Why would you be going back to perm at that point? I'm on a similar track, senior dev right now looking to move up to lead/principal followed by management. Is it simply that the salary/bonus/benefits package at that level is attractive enough to lure you away?
              My guess would be with IR35 changes all management positions will likely be deemed inside, most probably turned into FTCs so may as well go permie the take home pay won't be that much different and much less risk especially at that level as you long as you are good at your job and keep your tech skills up to date you are probably one of the last to go during redundancies.

Comment

I think LM is currently a permie.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  I think LM is currently a permie.
                  Which begs the polite question; why is he such a presence on a contractors' forum?

If I had left contracting, I'd Leave.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    Which begs the polite question; why is he such a presence on a contractors' forum?

Because he's cut out to be a contractor. He's just currently got a full time gig.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

That would leave about 20 contractors as inside roles are permie now also

I’m sure LM said she went pervery not permie anyhoo

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X