• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
    I’m finding that there are so many public sector roles and hardly and on the private contract side.

Problem is I can’t get a look in as they all expect some sort of clearance level being DV, SC etc
    Not only that but there will be a queue of people there with public sector experience that automatically jump ahead of you as soon as they apply, partly because they've already accepted that the pay is much worse.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I think these are just final muscle twitches before flatline...

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
        I think the contractor market will look better than the perm for a short while. Companies are adapting to a new way of working and have assessed what needs doing. If there's something new to put new kit or Teams or other collaboration stuff that they didn't have before, there will be lots of small projects here and there that need short-term expertise while they get up and running.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          I think the contractor market will look better than the perm for a short while. Companies are adapting to a new way of working and have assessed what needs doing. If there's something new to put new kit or Teams or other collaboration stuff that they didn't have before, there will be lots of small projects here and there that need short-term expertise while they get up and running.
          Hopefully you are right, but a lot of those may throw in the towel. Seems like incentives to work are pretty slim now and when higher taxes kick in, might as well go through recession on handouts.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
            The end of contracting and the great house price crash - one day, honest!
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              You should definitely consider opening a soothsayer shop. Your prediction works!

Today I got contract termination notice as the client's short term requirement has been fulfilled :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                You should definitely consider opening a soothsayer shop. Your prediction works!

Today I got contract termination notice as the client's short term requirement has been fulfilled :-)
                Sorry, my clairvoyance practice closed due to unforeseen circumstances.

Comment

Noticing that roles are starting to pick up, but the work tends to be quite niche and a lot of the rates are very low.

Picked up a short bit of work (sadly at the lowest rate I have ever charged) mainly because I want a new dev box and don't want to spend any of my warchest on quite a lavish purchase just now.

Comment

Feck me, an agent just called me about a role !!!

It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Feck me, an agent just called me about a role !!!

It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas
                      Why, is it for the National Elf Service?

Comment

Working...
                      X