• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    Now that everyone around the world is adjusting to working from home office, has anyone checked markets overseas?

How they fare?
    before lockdown I was getting many ads and opportunities on work from netherlands, belgium, germany. Given those countries have already eased lockdown ahead of us in uk, its worth a punt on trying to source work from those countries especially with remote working starting to become the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
      If you're into Football you can look into football index - a kind of investment on the football market. Normal stock market have suffered because of companies suffering to trade but football despite not much live football being played there's still lots of talks around football players in general. And football index is a stock market on footballers. I've been trading on there as an alternative income before i got back to perm job and earned quite a few extras to keep me going. So i'm chuffed to bits.
      That's quite exotic! Was thinking more along the lines of getting a job as a van driver but will check it out though I'm fairly cautious having just lost a bit on the AIM market.

Comment

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
        That's quite exotic! Was thinking more along the lines of getting a job as a van driver but will check it out though I'm fairly cautious having just lost a bit on the AIM market.
        There was quite a demand for van drivers at the start of UK Lockdown back in late March/Early April. Not sure now with lockdown easing.

I'll PM you. I can give you some tips & insight.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
          Very very intesrting thanks for sharing

1) Is this in FS in London
          2) Is that 80K base or including bonus?

I ve been contracting for 8 years plus with 15 years FS experience and a comp sci degree - My rate was always 650 and I am not joking when I expect 120K base and a 25K bonus plus 7% pension

Am I really crazy? Thi is front office IT system maintenance new feature deployment
          If you've got a 15-year old CS degree, it's probably not worth much these days other than being "degree level" as per the job spec. You're potentially over-selling that aspect of your CV. Front office deployment is your key. However, what jobs have you seen out there in the perm market either on the wharf or in the square mile for your skill set?

Are you a project manager? Are you waterfall, agile or semi-agile?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            If you've got a 15-year old CS degree, it's probably not worth much these days other than being "degree level" as per the job spec.
            I echo same statement, try not oversell the degree part especially if you're an experienced person. In fact, if you have some sort of experience from maybe 6 years above, I wouldn't even emphasize the degree part, i'll merely just note that down at the bottom of my CV.

find that most employers look for experience rather especially in FS. Unless, you're applying for big tech companies such as Google, Facebook, Amazon etc. they value degrees even for senior people who's been in the industry for over 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
              find that most employers look for experience rather especially in FS. Unless, you're applying for big tech companies such as Google, Facebook, Amazon etc. they value degrees even for senior people who's been in the industry for over 10 years.
              Possibly because they're terrified of having hauled over the coals for unequal pay or something - if they can demonstrate criteria (a degree from so and so) then its easier to justify over the much more usable 'experience'
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
                Very very intesrting thanks for sharing

1) Is this in FS in London
                2) Is that 80K base or including bonus?

I ve been contracting for 8 years plus with 15 years FS experience and a comp sci degree - My rate was always 650 and I am not joking when I expect 120K base and a 25K bonus plus 7% pension
                you might not be joking. But the recruiter will have a good laugh when you quote this.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post

A few decent public sector roles at the DWP and MoJ but the application process is excruciatingly slow and requires page after page of documents and a covering letter detailing why you meet the 101 skills required.
                  I’m finding that there are so many public sector roles and hardly and on the private contract side.

Problem is I can’t get a look in as they all expect some sort of clearance level being DV, SC etc

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                    I’m finding that there are so many public sector roles and hardly and on the private contract side.

Problem is I can’t get a look in as they all expect some sort of clearance level being DV, SC etc
                    I feel your pain. My SC recently expired after being in a private sector role that was supposed to run until the end of the year but which has now been canned.

Comment

The market is looking pretty decent compared to last summer. Fortune favours the brave.
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X