• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought i was toast at the end of May as contract was due to end but just found out they are moving me to a rolling monthly contract from June - so safe until end of June at least now.

Anything will do right now! Happy days!

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
      Thought i was toast at the end of May as contract was due to end but just found out they are moving me to a rolling monthly contract from June - so safe until end of June at least now.

Anything will do right now! Happy days!
      Congratulations - any extension is good news in this market.

<NLUK mode>

Are you Inside or Outside IR35 today?

<NLUK mode>

Comment

Saw another one for the wall of shame on Jobserve today:
        Junior SQL DBA
        £200 per day inside IR35

From the advert:
        You will be expected to have a couple of years' of experience as a Production DBA

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
          Junior SQL DBA
          £200 per day inside IR35

From the advert:
          You will be expected to have a couple of years' of experience as a Production DBA

We're heading into 'Will code for food' territory, so someone will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
            Junior SQL DBA
            £200 per day inside IR35

From the advert:
            Sounds good. 25 years old, 45k per year. Fill yer boots.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Looking for a new IT gig? Here are vacancies around the world for developers, cloud engineers, infosec analysts, Jira admin, and more • The Register

Looks like el Reg is trying to help people looking for work but I suspect this will result in those companies being inundated.

Comment

I got extended to end June in early April and client already wants to talk to me about another extension for a new project this coming week. I'm not sure it will be the most interesting work and the rate since I started in Jan has been about 35-40% lower than my normal rate but after looking at a few job boards recently, I think any offer of an extension will be grabbed with both hands.

I've also had several agents I know well call me up for a chat recently. From what they've told me, it's been desperate times since March and lots of their colleagues have been furloughed.

One agent who has fixed me up with some very good gigs in the past said he's seen a glimmer of hope in the last 10 days but it's more like companies contacting him 'speculatively.'

Which I think is code for we want a purple unicorn with 10 years contracting experience for half the normal rate.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                  Could be a reference to Objective-C?

OOP imo died a long time ago as a viable concept. You just end up with helper objects etc... most people just code, use concepts such as polymorphism, SOLID etc and don't bther with pure objects. Or as in later versions of Java, mix pseudo objects with functional programming concepts.
                  Polymorphism and SOLID principles are part of OOP?

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                    Polymorphism and SOLID principles are part of OOP?
                    As I said, OOP is dead imo.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                      I got extended to end June in early April and client already wants to talk to me about another extension for a new project this coming week. I'm not sure it will be the most interesting work and the rate since I started in Jan has been about 35-40% lower than my normal rate but after looking at a few job boards recently, I think any offer of an extension will be grabbed with both hands.

I've also had several agents I know well call me up for a chat recently. From what they've told me, it's been desperate times since March and lots of their colleagues have been furloughed.

One agent who has fixed me up with some very good gigs in the past said he's seen a glimmer of hope in the last 10 days but it's more like companies contacting him 'speculatively.'

Which I think is code for we want a purple unicorn with 10 years contracting experience for half the normal rate.
                      Half the normal rate is better than zero...

Comment

Working...
                      X