• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Janter Effect View Post
    Yes, over the next 3 weeks I think anything is out of the question. But, presumably, within a few more weeks the more draconian restrictions will be lifted and people will be going about their business, not 100% normally, but normally enough to recruit and onboard resources.

But that may be me in overly optimistic mode. I don't look at the papers or social media, you see :-)
    I hear another big bank has just done a U-turn on them banning PSC's (sorry can't name them as I'm in with a shout). The house of cards is starting to topple.

Comment

I just had an agency call me and ask "how are you finding the market"

This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Client made a u-turn. Permits LTDs for now. Got extended same terms as before.

Comment

Client u-turn accepted an outside extension same terms as before.

Comment

Originally posted by Highland View Post
            Agent phoned me earlier this morning about a role.

Some of the big clients are still looking, or at least this guy decided to call me to pretend one is anyway.
            Likewise, I got a call yesterday. I am still in a contract (we're actually being asked to deliver earlier due to the impact of Covid-19) but I'm fully aware any role is fragile just now.

I have a Zoom call lined up with the agent next week to learn more - it could just turn out to be a fishing exercise, but the client was named on the initial call.

Comment

Originally posted by abz2020 View Post
              Client made a u-turn. Permits LTDs for now. Got extended same terms as before.
              Originally posted by 6128k View Post
              Client u-turn accepted an outside extension same terms as before.
              Are you guys sat next to each other?

Comment

Originally posted by Highland View Post
                Some of the big clients are still looking, or at least this guy decided to call me to pretend one is anyway.
                I'm seeing the same roles going up day after day that my CV has already been sent off for. When I call the agent to ask what's going on, they say the role has been pulled. Then I see the same ad again in a few days. I totally accept that maybe the agent is trying to avoid saying "client said no, you aren't good enough..." but it's happening far too often now.

Comment

Great Actors - or there are contracts about

From the calls I've had with agents, there do seem to be contracts here and now - with more on the way. Either that or they are great actors.

Common sense : COVID 19 will pass at some point, when the dust clears - lots of bosses will ask where their projects are up to. Imagine a PM saying - couldn't get anything done with COVID 19 going on, big boss replies "Could no one have worked from home?"...

Comment

Originally posted by The Janter Effect View Post
                    Yes, over the next 3 weeks I think anything is out of the question. But, presumably, within a few more weeks the more draconian restrictions will be lifted and people will be going about their business, not 100% normally, but normally enough to recruit and onboard resources.

But that may be me in overly optimistic mode. I don't look at the papers or social media, you see :-)

'Draconian' means cruel and severe. I don't see what is occurring now as severely cruel or cruel in the slightest. If anything it's the opposite of cruel. Would be good if a new catchphrase caught on for this very light lock down ( light compared to other countries' implementations.)

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      Likewise, I got a call yesterday. I am still in a contract (we're actually being asked to deliver earlier due to the impact of Covid-19) but I'm fully aware any role is fragile just now.

I have a Zoom call lined up with the agent next week to learn more - it could just turn out to be a fishing exercise, but the client was named on the initial call.

Business first: collude with other contractors to stretch this out to the deadline and perhaps even beyond to ensure an extension.

Comment

Working...
                      X