• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Trying to get clients to understand that if you choose to put roles inside IR35 (and it is a choice) then you should also choose to take on the additional cost in doing so.

There is an option to keep your outgoings where they were previously - make the role outside of IR35.

At the moment they seem to be adopting the position of doing one without the other.
    Surely as an umbrella employee you save the Client 20% VAT which would otherwise be paid on ltd co rate, hence cost neutral? Perhaps someone with better understanding of how the books/operations are accounted for can comment.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Definitely this and kudos for getting off your bum and getting work. Some round here would just fraudulently claim off the state.

I should have done this to keep me sane and keep some cash in the pocket and I didn't which I regret so good on you.
      Interesting one for you (not me, now I'm perm) - would Uber driver be an option?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by kissmyaIR35se View Post
        Surely as an umbrella employee you save the Client 20% VAT which would otherwise be paid on ltd co rate, hence cost neutral? Perhaps someone with better understanding of how the books/operations are accounted for can comment.
        The umbrella charges VAT on the bill to the agency who add their mark up and VAT so it's not much different

Comment

Originally posted by kissmyaIR35se View Post
          Nope, the umbrella firm still charges VAT..

And if you are using VAT in any argument you've already lost the battle - in HMRC's world VAT is revenue neutral for B2B businesses (regardless of whether your client is bank or not).
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm now seeing a trickle of new contracts in my skillset on Jobserve. All allowing remote work (obviously) and not bad rates either.

Mandatory remote working is amazing as I can extend my search to the whole of UK (and beyond).

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              I'm now seeing a trickle of new contracts in my skillset on Jobserve. All allowing remote work (obviously) and not bad rates either.

Mandatory remote working is amazing as I can extend my search to the whole of UK (and beyond).
              Do I need to teach you wet behind the ear kids everything

You can now have Multiple full time concurrent contracts rather than just 1

My record is 4

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

That's interesting! My only concern is that remote working can't go on forever.

Comment

Got lucky - found a permie WFH job

It pays way less than anything I'd ever consider before Covid-19, but it's easy monkey-work and besides, my expenses are virtually non-existent right now so not only am I going to preserve my warchest, but I'll be bolstering up a bit more.

This was a role I got from a friend. Aside from that - 0 results from jobserve and other boards. This is a dead market right now.

Comment

Yeah, by midday today on Jobserve, anything with the word Project in the title numbered 10 roles... gulp.

Comment

To add to the joy of this thread - update from dave Chaplin

Dave Chaplin on LinkedIn: #offpayrolltax #stoptheoffpayrolltax #ir35 | 50 comments

50% of contractors now cut

Anther 25% to be cut by 29th March

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X