• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take one of those £200 a day roles pls. Last lump of coal going on today
    Permietractor (probably)

Comment

do you think this virus stuff might have a negative impact on the job market?

I was thinking that yes it might, but if you're set up to work remotely (my last 2 contracts have been 100% remote) it could be a bit of an opportunity?

Benched currently, and I have a bit of a warchest to keep me going for a while, but I didn't exactly plan for the end of the world

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
        do you think this virus stuff might have a negative impact on the job market?

I was thinking that yes it might, but if you're set up to work remotely (my last 2 contracts have been 100% remote) it could be a bit of an opportunity?

Benched currently, and I have a bit of a warchest to keep me going for a while, but I didn't exactly plan for the end of the world
        I think the virus stuff is going to open up a lot of opportunities, especially in the future.

Clients are seeing that most of the jobs can be done remotely with minimal problems, I think this will lead to more remote contracts to be available in the future, less expenses for contractors, and overall a better work-life balance.

At least this is what I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          I think the virus stuff is going to open up a lot of opportunities, especially in the future.

Clients are seeing that most of the jobs can be done remotely with minimal problems, I think this will lead to more remote contracts to be available in the future, less expenses for contractors, and overall a better work-life balance.

At least this is what I hope.
          Market has taught me otherwise.

Take your expectations and then flip them to that of the opposite view, that’s what’ll happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
            I'll take one of those £200 a day roles pls. Last lump of coal going on today
            Take anything to get over the next 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

If the global run on the financial markets continues there is not going to be much of an economy left & no-one right now knows where its heading or what is going to happen next!

Comment

Lloyd’s buddy just called me up, Lloyd’s are letting go 50% of his team (his team made up entirely of contractors that turned permie 4 short weeks ago) as on probation period they just get 1 weeks pay

Let the permie kulls begin

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Lloyd’s buddy just called me up, Lloyd’s are letting go 50% of his team (his team made up entirely of contractors that turned permie 4 short weeks ago) as on probation period they just get 1 weeks pay

Let the permie kulls begin

They won't be the only ones - at the moment the name of the game is cut costs as much and as quickly as possible. Anyone recently joining is going to be the first ones out..
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    They won't be the only ones - at the moment the name of the game is cut costs as much and as quickly as possible. Anyone recently joining is going to be the first ones out..
                    Yep. I *was* in the middle of retreating to permiedom. Package agreed, contract signed, they are just doing the references, etc.

But it's a big plc and their share price is currently tanking. Just waiting for them to pull the plug tbqh

Comment

Project about to be pulled 2 weeks before go live

Current contract - project supposed to go live 1st April. Pan European project so a lot of people already working remotely. Client is in the Aerospace industry - Board level meetings going on at moment just to ensure business continuity - head office in France.

Rumour is - go live will be postponed.

I suspect that means my contract will be terminated (Hopefully they will pay me up to the end of the month and my client contact seems nice enough).

I'm spending the day going through to pare down our outgoings - I reckon we can keep afloat for about six months. Which is what I always planned for. However I fear six months in 2020 will not be enough. Although right now I'll take anything!

Comment

Working...
                      X