• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Funny you should say that. I've just started walking dogs (missus won't let us have a dog) at the local animal sanctuary to give me some routine and time out and it's bloody great!! I'm absolutely awful on the bench, no routine, motivation but the dog walking is the best thing I've done in a very long time. Now I've something to look forward to and have to do when I get back and feel proper invigorated when I get home and fired in to the hunting. Definitely recommend it.
    You're on the bench too?
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
      You're on the bench too?
      Yup. Hit the 2 year rule at the clients recently. In the past 12 years the best bit has been leaving a client and looking for new exciting roles. Have to say not so this time. Market is awful and the agents worse than ever.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 18 September 2019, 14:14.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        Until winter comes around!
        Ah'm frm't Yorkshire. Ahhhs just put t'hat on like.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 18 September 2019, 14:12.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Market in my area of expertise (design) has definitely picked up in the last 2 weeks. Quite a few new roles every week, now.

Applied for one and got an offer. One shot one kill

Comment

This is all good advice. Obviously bear in mind you can stand looking at your phone for 5 hours and an agent will ring you the minute you go into the kitchen to get a drink!

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              This is all good advice. Obviously bear in mind you can stand looking at your phone for 5 hours and an agent will ring you the minute you go into the kitchen to get a drink!
              Or when you're sat on the toilet, phone in hand. Judicious muting is sometimes necessary.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

uncomfortably familiar last few posts.
                Permietractor (probably)

Comment

For the more experienced contractors that have built relationships with the pimps for many years, are your phones still ringing?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Benched as well. Finished a contract in automotive which hated every bit of it. A mix of programming and engineering. Big US comp but small city and bad mix of people. Nothing worked there. Now trying to get into IT world in london, finance and python, some of the previous things i’ve been doing were more advanced, others not. But still find it difficult to get managers to trust me, at all job levels. Had a few discussions but they haven’t gone very far. Thinking there is a lot of supply out there and they are not open to taking risk but could be me as well...
                    I probably could return to prev industry but find that as appealing as jumping in front of a train.
                    What it helped me is going for a run in the morning, gets you in a good mood for the rest of the day.
                    My advice is not to taken anything personal about the market, as someone said above these things might last for some time. My opinion is also that brexit is a front to ramp up capitalism and soon there will be less employee protection and payed nhs tightening the screws on everyone. Restrictions to live uk so only work work work...
                    it might be a good time for everyone to have a honest talk with themselves because if “employment at will” will be the norm, nobody would pay extra for a contractor. And plenty of people around here like the dosh but some also prefer not to be part of the corporate world so much...
                    Maybe there is a sunny country out there that you have been thinking about...
                    I am thinking of getting a job for those fake taxi’s that you see in movies, see if it actually works that way...

Comment

contract fallen through!

So that contract that I had "secured" in Manchester but they wanted me to wait 2 weeks before starting....well its fallen through.

The agency (Pontoons) have stated that the client will not overlook that my surname is spelt slightly different on my passport by one character. Its never been an issue before and i have been contracting for a long time and also have contracted through the agency before as well.

personally i think the roll has lost funding.

Comment

Working...
                      X