• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
    Is this literally the worst time of 2019 to be looking for a role?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Nope, it was worse in the summer

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Nope, it was worse in the summer

You kind of expect that though. There was a bit of a bounce first week in September but other than that absolutely terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
        Is this literally the worst time of 2019 to be looking for a role?
        My local McDonalds are always looking for new staff.

(you didn't say what work you do, or where, so I've made assumptions )

Comment

Coming up to 2 months on the bench and wondering if I'll eventually lose all my war chest, default on my mortgage and end up in the tulipter.

It's an awfully bipolar way of life isn't it? Some days you'll get 4 phone calls and feel on top of the world, times you're waiting weeks for an interview where you get turned down.
          Last edited by PerfectStorm; 18 September 2019, 12:55.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            Coming up to 2 months on the bench and wondering if I'll eventually lose all my war chest, default on my mortgage and end up in the tulipter.

It's an awfully bipolar way of life isn't it? Some days you'll get 4 phone calls and feel on top of the world, times you're waiting weeks for an interview where you get turned down.
            Get out of the house, leave your phone at home, and go walking or something & get away from it all for a few hours...& give yourself a break from 'contractoruk', would be my advice. All intended in a non-offensive way btw, I've been there, done that, & know just how 5hite each day can become. Fresh air works wonders some times.
            Last edited by SteelyDan; 18 September 2019, 13:24.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

The state of the market may already be in the early stages of a perfect storm (), what with Brexit still not certain to be sorted by 31st October so many clients on hold investment/hiring wise, the spectre of IR35 changes already making some clients twitchy, and the global economy likely heading for a recession (interest rates already in 'emergency' measures since 2008 financial crash) and potentially another war that the UK gets dragged into on behalf of the USA and it's 'allies' in the Middle East.

My personal tips for dealing with bench time:

Use the spare time between contracts to assess what you can and want to do to mitigate any financial risk that being out of contract presents. Reduce expenditure (mothball things non-essential until income allows), find alternative ways of making some money (I did a big clear-out of non-sentimental 'junk' when a long stint between contracts threatened financial ruin, sold the lot at local car boots or 'first come gets a table' market stall days), upskill if there are potential alternative roles you could relatively easily move into if they appeal, do some local volunteering/charity work (also helps with any gaps on the CV), other activities to stay active both physically and mentally.

On top of that, today is the best day to be looking for a new contract. Yesterday's gone and there is no guarantee what tomorrow brings so today is all we have. Just spend the time wisely and don't just focus on dealing with agents and chasing a contract. Put your feet up and have a brew glad that you're not stuck in a permie job you hate paying minimum wage.

Something always turns up and sometimes it takes a depleted warchest to find the motivation and inspiration to discover it.

Contracting is a state of mind. It's a lovely day tomorrow.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                Get out of the house, leave your phone at home, and go walking or something & get away from it all for a few hours...& give yourself a break from 'contractoruk', would be my advice. All intended in a non-offensive way btw, I've been there, done that, & know just how 5hite each day can become. Fresh air works wonders some times.
                Exactly the above. Been there before as well, in fact over a couple of years on and off in the financial crisis. It literally can be mind-bending. Only escape for me was getting on the golf course for a few hours. Then I knew what pain and suffering were really about! Cruel game.

Comment

My last couple of contracts have had 2-3 month gaps between them and I enjoyed the break - i see it as one of the main benefits of contracting.

I had holiday with the wife, did some work in the garden, painted fences, laid slabs, did some geeking about (home automation), went for a walk or a run. Perhaps I was fortunate that i have/had a warchest and I might have felt different if it went to 4 or 5 months.

Comment

Funny you should say that. I've just started walking dogs (missus won't let us have a dog) at the local animal sanctuary to give me some routine and time out and it's bloody great!! I'm absolutely awful on the bench, no routine, motivation but the dog walking is the best thing I've done in a very long time. Now I've something to look forward to and have to do when I get back and feel proper invigorated when I get home and fired in to the hunting. Definitely recommend it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Funny you should say that. I've just started walking dogs (missus won't let us have a dog) at the local animal sanctuary to give me some routine and time out and it's bloody great!! I'm absolutely awful on the bench, no routine, motivation but the dog walking is the best thing I've done in a very long time. Now I've something to look forward to and have to do when I get back and feel proper invigorated when I get home and fired in to the hunting. Definitely recommend it.
                      Until winter comes around!

Comment

Working...
                      X