• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    IT has been the future since the phrase was first coined. Nothing will change. HMG do not want to support any industry, it seems. Not sure what they think this country should produce
    This is it. Sometimes we forget that IT Contracting is just part of the wider economy.

Comment

sounds quite bad out there. great time for me to think about quitting my current job (yes i made a disastrous error and went permie in jan).
      second time i've done this in 30 years contracting - both times awful..hopefully i've learnt this time just dont have a permie mindset, i actually would prefer to be on less money as a contractor than go through the hell that is permiedom.
      based in London, devop, linux admin, 2 years warchest in easy access ..

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
        sounds quite bad out there. great time for me to think about quitting my current job (yes i made a disastrous error and went permie in jan).
        second time i've done this in 30 years contracting - both times awful..hopefully i've learnt this time just dont have a permie mindset, i actually would prefer to be on less money as a contractor than go through the hell that is permiedom.
        based in London, devop, linux admin, 2 years warchest in easy access ..
        Every circumstance, including skill set and geographic area is different but unless you really can’t stand it so would urge caution.

Have a word with a few tame agents before deciding?

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
          2 years warchest in easy access ..
          2 years worth of war chest....
          NLUK will shed a single tear out of pride.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Every circumstance, including skill set and geographic area is different but unless you really can’t stand it so would urge caution.

Have a word with a few tame agents before deciding?
            Yep.. i was thinking of applying for a couple of contracts and see
            What happens

Comment

Forget any war chest I have gone through about £100K's worth of war chest thinking it was enough over the decades...it never is! When you are not earning anymore your expenditure rises dramatically!!

Comment

Things have picked up a tiny bit for me in London and I've finally had an offer. I've also had, what appeared to be, a positive interview today.

Unfortunately though, the bouyency of the market is still nothing in comparison to the market pre referendum when I would frequently turn my phone off as I was getting a phone call every 5 mins.

Something else I've noticed is that contractor interviews seem to be getting a lot more difficult - perhaps due to flood of available contractors on the market.

The amount of technical tests and mini projects that I've had to do in the last 12 months is scary.
                Last edited by BionicTeddyBear; 25 June 2019, 15:40.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  Forget any war chest I have gone through about £100K's worth of war chest thinking it was enough over the decades...it never is! When you are not earning anymore your expenditure rises dramatically!!
                  This.

And I gather Morgan Stanley are going to dump contractors who dont convert to permie after 22 months. Glad Imout of it really.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    This.

And I gather Morgan Stanley are going to dump contractors who dont convert to permie after 22 months. Glad Imout of it really.
                    Many US based firms do this now as its all part of one of their financial service sector rule's to know your staff & ONLY have perms not temps or disguised contractors.
                    Sarbanes–Oxley Act - Wikipedia
                    Last edited by uk contractor; 26 June 2019, 09:43. Reason: url

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
                      2 years worth of war chest....
                      NLUK will shed a single tear out of pride.
                      For Linux Dev-Ops contractors, you have to factor in Vape/e-cig habit, Beard Oil, Craft Ale and Asian girlfriend overheads - 6 months or less to bankruptcy imho.

Comment

Working...
                      X