• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d0tnet View Post
    London seems as good as ever, just left a contract a few weeks early for another (better work and better rate). Option to go back to the previous after the new gig is over!

Those who are finding quiet, what location and role are you looking for?
    I'm in London and I'm finding it quiet.

Since the referendum it's being getting worse and worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Does ye olde trick of reuploading your CV every Tuesday morning still trick recruiters into thinking there's fresh meat on the market? A couple of people I know swear it works but I'm yet to be convinced.
      Well, I am soon to be moving on I think and in anticipation of this, I uploaded my CV on to all the portals.

In times past, Every time I have done this, I have received a flood of excited calls.

This time, and over the last four weeks, not one single, solitary, lonely call has been received.

There are a couple of things going on through contacts but otherwise, there is about the same level of interest in me as there was in 2001, with a less than tantalising CV, and just after the dot-com crash and before 9/11.

Comment

For those wanting to take the summer off please heed the messages I and others posted earlier on in the year.

Some of us were out of work for 5-6 months last year after taking the summer off, coming back in September and quickly realising we could not get work.

Look at the number of Contract to permie threads and desperate posters over the past 12 months.

Don’t try and be cocky in this market.

Comment

Finding it really slow at the moment. I know Jobserve isn't a scientific measurement but the amount of adverts appearing on my searches are way down.

Got through two phone interviews but both roles disappeared. Previously contract rang me last week about going back so not all bad.

Tough times.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Finding it really slow at the moment. I know Jobserve isn't a scientific measurement but the amount of adverts appearing on my searches are way down.

Got through two phone interviews but both roles disappeared. Previously contract rang me last week about going back so not all bad.

Tough times.
            Its not just Brexit either there are lots of EU nationals here sitting in IT jobs earning less money than you or I might command!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              Its not just Brexit either there are lots of EU nationals here sitting in IT jobs earning less money than you or I might command!
              They've had a headcount here & no contracts will be extended. Also shedding 1800 jobs. They're going to onshore more bods from Tech Mahindra to take up the shortfall. Usual tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                They've had a headcount here & no contracts will be extended. Also shedding 1800 jobs. They're going to onshore more bods from Tech Mahindra to take up the shortfall. Usual tulip.
                Clientco here (FTSE100) is culling UK-based contractors and either moving the work offshore or giving it to offshore bods onshore. Nothing to do with Brexit, just a combination of market forces and a new CIO.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  Clientco here (FTSE100) is culling UK-based contractors and either moving the work offshore or giving it to offshore bods onshore. Nothing to do with Brexit, just a combination of market forces and a new CIO.
                  I noticed things getting worse a short time after the Brexit referendum so I think it does have a lot to do with Brexit.

But I guess we won't know for sure until someone actually investigates what's going on.

However, uncertainty in the economy is never a good thing
                  for contractors and that's basically what Brexit is - huge uncertainty. If we leave that uncertainty will just get worse.

Comment

I would have thought anyone who was going to offshore would have done it years ago but seemingly not.

There is a lot of uncertainty in business about spending any money, even for what seem like essential projects.

Comment

Originally posted by BionicTeddyBear View Post
                      I noticed things getting worse a short time after the Brexit referendum so I think it does have a lot to do with Brexit.

But I guess we won't know for sure until someone actually investigates what's going on.

However, uncertainty in the economy is never a good thing
                      for contractors and that's basically what Brexit is - huge uncertainty. If we leave that uncertainty will just get worse.
                      Sorry, I should clarify - for my current Clientco it’s nothing to do with Brexit. YMMV for other clients.

Comment

Working...
                      X