• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    'Tis the Y2K of 2018.
    can't wait for New Years Day 2048 when we go from 111 1111 1111 to the year 1000 0000 0000 in binary, I wonder if that will break anything

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Our GDPR project just ended. In the end there wasn't much to do.
      A polite but robust response from me I’m afraid...

Either:

1. You’re misinformed
      2. Your organisation’s compliance requirements under the DPA were minimal
      3. You don’t understand Regulations

Data protection with GDPR is a Good Thing - it forces the legal and IT sides of the same coin to finally work together in all industries and environments.

It’s not perfect

It’s definitely not ‘we’re compliant for ever and nothing more to do’

And once the bandwagon consultants have moved on there will still be a bedrock of actionable legislation for InfoSec and DP folks to leverage to get better results for their clients and data subjects (you and me)

Comment

Originally posted by SillyPerson View Post
        A polite but robust response from me I’m afraid...

Either:

1. You’re misinformed
        2. Your organisation’s compliance requirements under the DPA were minimal
        3. You don’t understand Regulations

Data protection with GDPR is a Good Thing - it forces the legal and IT sides of the same coin to finally work together in all industries and environments.

It’s not perfect

It’s definitely not ‘we’re compliant for ever and nothing more to do’

And once the bandwagon consultants have moved on there will still be a bedrock of actionable legislation for InfoSec and DP folks to leverage to get better results for their clients and data subjects (you and me)
        Nope it is done, GDPR does go further than the regulatory bodies that previously oversaw privacy, but the tweaks weren't a major change.

Sure privacy and requirements is an ongoing theme always has been, GDPR doesn't change that, it now simply means what in the past was compliance with no legal implications, now has legal implications. We haven't employed any contractors to handle this.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          can't wait for New Years Day 2048 when we go from 111 1111 1111 to the year 1000 0000 0000 in binary, I wonder if that will break anything
          Well the Y2k things didnt break much so I would say do not hold your breath1

Comment

It wiped my Palm V of all my data and replicated and empty device so lost everything.

Well Y2K didn't technically do it. I was in the office at midnight watching nothing happening so was buggering around with my palm and managed to wipe it and replicate the wrong way so overwrote my PC copy.

That damn Y2K bug
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know of a hospital (not in the NHS) that in 2000 had a core operational system that was so ancient, that they tweaked some code, so that Y2K was put back until 1 January 2020, because the idea that they could possibly still be on that system then was beyond ridiculous. You can guess the punchline.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                That’s ridiculous.
                GDPR is here to stay. 25th May is just the start.
                Y2K was over on 1st Jan 2000
                Totally agree that 25th May 'GDPR Day' is only the start. You only have to look at the crisis surrounding Facebook to realise that data privacy is very probably going to be a hot topic for a while.

Given the ICO's stance that they will initially use a softly softly approach to enforcement rather than the threat of fines of up to 4% of annual turnover, I expect to see the full GDPR ramifications in a year or two once large companies start getting fined for non-compliance.

Comment

Taking absolute delight in getting GDPR re-consenting requests from every recruitment agency that's gotten my details from nefarious means and been giving me unsolicited contact for years.

Can't wait to ask a few how and when I signed up to their mailings if they dare contact me after the 25th
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Job hopes of 4m Brits hit by an
                    Many of these are IT related posts so its not going to get better for many UK born IT workers anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                      Job hopes of 4m Brits hit by an
                      Many of these are IT related posts so its not going to get better for many UK born IT workers anytime soon.
                      Excellent article.

It’s safe to assume almost all of what they’re talking about is about IT professional roles.

Comment

Working...
                      X