• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    You might struggle to find it nowadays.

qh
    That's the story of his life nowadays.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      You might struggle to find it nowadays.

qh
      Think the Germans still have to pay the reunification tax dont they?

In Ireland you get to pay the Celtic Tiger Fook Up tax, officially known as USC, Universal Social Charge.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        That's the story of his life nowadays.
        Mine’s 15” long but only if I fold it in half....

Comment

As a newbie expat thinking of breaking back into the UK market after a long stint abroad, I was referred to this post to read perspectives on the state of the market. I have come to the conclusion that there is no one common "state of the market". There are jobs out there, some fake but not on the whole. There is competition, whether its from people who are better than you, cheaper than you, and/or possibly less honest than you. Niche skills command higher premiums. London is hot. Agents are not to be trusted. The profession/people to blame?

Key takeways (apologies for the experienced who might find some of this pretty obvious) from your posts are a) its critical to be AND remain relevant from a skills perspective b) expecting stuff to pop into your inbox like magic is naive c) contracting is a like a continuous sales job - and renewals cost you/the employer less d) building, nurturing, and leveraging a network of business associates, friends, colleagues is (aside from the lucky lot who get calls on their 1st applications) is perhaps THE ONLY way to guarantee a higher hit rate for your next contract.

I must admit though, it was a breathe of fresh air after all the doomsday talk to see that many still have a sense of humour!!!!

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Mine’s 15” long but only if I fold it in half....

Comment

First ever contract ends tomorrow after a year long contract coming from permie world.

In the last 2 weeks I've applied for like 25 roles online, I'm sure most of then weren't active.

Spoke to a handful of recruiters. Had one telephone interview and one face to face...

Just accepted the offer! Hooray!

Comment

Hopefully this week from Thursday morning onwards there will be some noticeable movement in the contracting market. All those hiring managers will have returned by then & all things being equal this will kickstart some of these pre easter roles moving forward again.

I only have 3 prospective roles on hold due to these factors.............

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                First ever contract ends tomorrow after a year long contract coming from permie world.

In the last 2 weeks I've applied for like 25 roles online, I'm sure most of then weren't active.

Spoke to a handful of recruiters. Had one telephone interview and one face to face...

Just accepted the offer! Hooray!

Well done, congratulations

Comment

Seems to have picked up a bit in the PM space. Two interviews this week for two clients. Am praying one comes through for me!

Comment

Spoke to a few agents last week they all told me the same thing very quiet little is happening new roles wise & companies being very cautious about hiring right now in general. All my roles are still on hold I am looking elsewhere but its the slowest I have seen it for some time the market conditions are very challenging. So good luck to anyone still looking.

Saw this earlier had to laugh they were trying to outsource the UK IT sector as much as possible & they are now in serious financial trouble themselves for a number of reasons (being a greedy bar steward mainly!!).
                    Capita to raise £700m as losses deepen - BBC News

Comment

Been on the bench 3 weeks (2 of which were holidays). I have had plenty of calls from agents, averaging two a day, "great CV", "I'll put your CV across to my client", "get back tomorrow", "Would you be interested in "... then all goes quiet.

Seems like there are a few roles out there but the quality / quantity of candidates is high

Comment

Working...
                      X