• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ascender View Post
    The client i'm working for is looking for some experienced project managers, ideally who've delivered telephony projects. Experience of working for them previously would also be beneficial.

Of the first 20 cvs they've had through, there's only one who vaguely meets the criteria and they're definitely at the junior end of things in terms of actual experience. The majority of the other ones seem to consist of technical voice people who've added the words "project manager" or "programme manager" in to their previous roles in the hope they can pass themselves off as a PM.

Not sure if there's a lack of good people available just now or if the client is being hamstrung by having to keep going to their preferred agent, but its been a real eye-opener reading through these CVs.
    Hi Ascender,
    Do you have a link to this role or an email I can send CV to? I have said experience, Finance Sector mainly in London City, Enterprise PABX/Carrier Circuit Provision/Voice Recording/Trader Voice/WAN/LAN/Contact Centre.

Cheers.

Comment

The client i'm working for is looking for some experienced project managers, ideally who've delivered telephony projects. Experience of working for them previously would also be beneficial.

Of the first 20 cvs they've had through, there's only one who vaguely meets the criteria and they're definitely at the junior end of things in terms of actual experience. The majority of the other ones seem to consist of technical voice people who've added the words "project manager" or "programme manager" in to their previous roles in the hope they can pass themselves off as a PM.

Not sure if there's a lack of good people available just now or if the client is being hamstrung by having to keep going to their preferred agent, but its been a real eye-opener reading through these CVs.
      The key to the role is 'project manager'. The nice thing about being a PM or BA is that you can pick the skills up and drop them into other areas. They should look further than just telephony PMs
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

But this has always been the case, people applying for roles they know are not suited to but fire off the CV anyhow, no ?

Comment

Has been some minor upwards change in the Financial Services sector in the last few weeks. I have 1 IB contract offer I am strongly considering as well as another longer term role which I would prefer but this other IB client is being exceptionally picky so not sure I want to throw away my valid contract offer to wait it out!
          Last edited by uk contractor; 11 July 2017, 20:25. Reason: Mr pedantic forum lurker wins out I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            Has been some minor upwards change in the Financial Services sector in the last few weeks. I have 1 IB job offer I am strongly considering as well as another longer term role which I would prefer but this other IB client is being exceptionally picky so not sure I want to throw away my valid job offer to wait it out!
            They are offering you a job? I thought you were a contractor?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              They are offering you a job? I thought you were a contractor?
              job

noun

1. a paid position of regular employment.

2.a task or piece of work, especially one that is paid.
              "she wants to be left alone to get on with the job"

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                job

noun

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    job

noun

Very good but bearing in mind it is item 2 of 2 with the main description being exactly what we are not would it not be sensible to use a better term that isn't going to cause confusion. I would argue for experienced contractors we know when it's being used incorrectly. New guys don't. Better to be a pedant and get them thinking and talking like a contractor from the off.

Someone posts they are resigning from their job. First question. Contract or full time?
                    Unhelpful word resulting in confusion.

Practical example..

This guy is resigning from his job
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-contract.html

The poster I responded to is being given a job.

Must be the same thing right?
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 July 2017, 16:34.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      But this has always been the case, people applying for roles they know are not suited to but fire off the CV anyhow, no ?
                      Yeah, but these are CVs which have apparently been reviewed by the agent so I'd expect them to filter out the ones which clearly aren't suitable. I'd hope that would be the minimum service they'd do for their money....

Comment

Working...
                      X