• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    And what will the 'quality' contractors be doing till then? Wont they just have to accept the new terms on the same rates anyway? A 'quality' contractor should be having a higher rate to start with.
    My guess is some of them will switch to permanent employment for an adequate salary but most of them will stay on the bench for a few months and wait for things to settle down.

Comment

Had final interview for perm job on Friday. There was: 1 telephone interview, 1 face to face with lead BA and PM, final one with head of development and then head of PMO.

Still waiting to hear and rapidly going off the idea, tbh.

When this sort of thing happens it just makes me realise why I prefer contracting as much less standing on ceremony.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        The question is: how long until this happens? I'd say no less than 6 months.
        I wish I shared your optimism - all I can see (having been on-off contracting since 2007) is a race to the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
          Had final interview for perm job on Friday. There was: 1 telephone interview, 1 face to face with lead BA and PM, final one with head of development and then head of PMO.

Still waiting to hear and rapidly going off the idea, tbh.

When this sort of thing happens it just makes me realise why I prefer contracting as much less standing on ceremony.
          I sympathise - got the last 2 contracts without meeting anyone, the first one without even a screening phone call

Waiting for stuff in wrting today - either a permie offer or contract (both promised verbally).

Comment

Something is wrong with the front end contract market, used to get so many phone calls in between gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              I sympathise - got the last 2 contracts without meeting anyone, the first one without even a screening phone call
              Wow, that's never happened to me. Been called whilst on my way home from interview a few times, thought that was pretty good.

Which will you go for if you get both roles?

Comment

Wow, that's never happened to me. Been called whilst on my way home from interview a few times, thought that was pretty good.
                Not just good. It means you wiped the floor with the competition, or the client just didn't need to interview anyone else because the decision was too obvious

Comment

Which will you go for if you get both roles?
                  Can't decide yet

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post

They also asked me after putting me forward if I'd be OK with working less than five days per week. After the interview it was discovered they never had any intention of it being a full time role. But I'm happy, cos SC clearance might open some doors, the rate isn't *too* bad, and I quite fancy the idea of working a bit less. Plus I can always go back to old gig to supplement days (good for IR 35 too proabably).
                    Last two contracts have been 4 days Mon-Thu and they rock, I now hope all my contracts are like that :-)

Comment

Light at the end of the tunnel? KMPG/Harvey Nash 2019 CIO Survey

The world's largest annual CIO survey has been published by Harvey Nash and KPMG based on 3,600 respondents in 25 countries. There are some mixed messages but there is the possibility that the market might start to improve in the coming months.

Some key findings:
                      • It's the largest proportion of organisations expecting to increase their IT budget since the survey started 15 years ago. Growth areas are security, data analytics, AI and automation plus 'transformation.' Growth sectors are Leisure, Media and Financial Services.
                      • 51% of CIOs are expecting to increase headcount.
                      • Skill shortages are at an all time high particularly in government, large IT functions, legacy or older organisations and those planning major transformations.
                      • Most scarce skills: Big data/analytics, security, AI, enterprise architecture and business analysis (I'm surprised about the last one.)
                      • BUT One third of CIOs think 20% of their workforce's jobs will be replaced by automation within 5 years. (I guess that includes IT jobs.)
                      • Overall longer term downward trend in outsourcing.

Some UK specific points:
                      • Proportion of organisations expecting to increase budget is one of the lowest of any country surveyed.
                      • 45% of CIOs got a pay rise in the last year, slightly less than average v other countries. Best sector for rises was pharma, telco and media.
                      • Top priority of CIOs is delivering consistent and stable IT performance to the business rather than helping to develop new products/services or business processes.

The overall picture seems to be that next year should be a better one for technology investment (and ultimately hiring) but that the UK is lagging behind most other countries.

You can get the full survey here 2019 Harvey Nash / KPMG CIO Survey

Comment

Working...
                      X