• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 3 of a gig where neither myself nor about 15 other contractors have a laptop yet. It'll probably arrive tomorrow, day 4.

4 x 15 x 400 quid = £24000 pissed away because despite making me wait for 2 weeks to start the gig, they didn't order the laptop until literally *yesterday*.

The best part was when they asked for my start date. Um, it's Tuesday and I started yesterday, on Monday...

Comment

I had all kit and all access on Monday (Day 1) which must have been a personal record.

Asked for a hp docking station thinking it would take a few days, it was on my desk within the hour. Not used to that efficiency however end client is German.

I remember anecdotally that Barclays would never hire people on 3 month gigs as it would take 2.5 months to obtain all access/kit.

qh
      Last edited by quackhandle; 13 December 2023, 19:54.
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

The US Fed signals 3 rate cuts in 2024. BOE will pretty much follow.

US and UK elections.

Worst looks like it is behind us.. unless something pushes up inflation again..

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          The US Fed signals 3 rate cuts in 2024. BOE will pretty much follow.

US and UK elections.

Worst looks like it is behind us.. unless something pushes up inflation again..
          Putin: hold my vodka.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Been on the bench for 8 months …looks like I will get an offer for a perm role £70k good benefits, 2 days in office 3 from home.

not been perm for 20 + years so bit of a leap of faith to take it /mindset thing 😳. Never thought I’d go perm again…

may also get the offer of an inside role paying £425 per day …

any thoughts?

I’ve had no success up to now and had so many run arounds/tulip off the agencies that I could write a book!

looks hopeful I’ll get two offers tomorrow…

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
              Been on the bench for 8 months …looks like I will get an offer for a perm role £70k good benefits, 2 days in office 3 from home.

not been perm for 20 + years so bit of a leap of faith to take it /mindset thing 😳. Never thought I’d go perm again…

any thoughts?

I’ve had no success up to now and had so many run arounds/tulip off the agencies that I could write a book!

Considering the market, I'd take the perm, stay in it for a year, see how you like it etc. The inside might end faster than it started, or you might only get 6months out of it, then another 6 months on the bench which would give you an average of £212 per day inside...

I'll probably switch to perm myself, it's been 5yrs of outside contracts at a decent rate, but the opportunities are getting slimmer and slimmer each year, so might as well switch while the option is there.

Comment

any thoughts?

Not enough info on benefits, distance etc. Perm is more than likely the better offer.

Comment

any thoughts?

Considering your recent posts I'd say perm all the way. Only takes 3 months or so out a year to mean contracting would like bring back less. Chance to re-skill, keep safe until contracting comes back and then pop up again.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

any thoughts?

Perm, I'd say. Rebuild the warchest and look again in a year or so, happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                      Nothing like leaving it to the last min...

Last day...

5pm... promised extension still not arrived on my desk...
                      5:30pm... six month extension signed

phew... now I can relax and enjoy Christmas.

Good luck to everyone on the hunt.
                      Still waiting for my extension paperwork, though I'm assured it's on its way. I have to the end of this month.

Congrats on yours.
                      Last edited by oliverson; 15 December 2023, 13:55.

Comment

Working...
                      X