• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Good one yesterday

Role at MasterCard - suites my skills to a Tee (ok rate)

MasterCard put role to 14 different agencies, each is allowed only to submit 2 CV’s

Why was I not put forward I hear you ask

MasterCard wants someone with between 5 and 10 years worth or experience the agent told me

Meaning they don’t want anyone over 40

Logan’s run time
    Sounds like BS to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      Sounds like BS to me.
      Just telling what happened, ignore if you want IDGAS

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Sounds like BS to me.
        No - I can follow the logic:-

1) agencies only have 2 chances so they read the specification and second guess what the candidates needs to be to get the interview slot.
        2) Agencies chose the top 2 candidates that match the agency's prioritised critera and ignoring others who don't match it.

Equally it shows you desperate agencies are for work - would you really spend time working on something when you have only a 7% chance of winning.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Good one yesterday

Role at MasterCard - suites my skills to a Tee (ok rate)

MasterCard put role to 14 different agencies, each is allowed only to submit 2 CV’s

Why was I not put forward I hear you ask

MasterCard wants someone with between 5 and 10 years worth or experience the agent told me

Meaning they don’t want anyone over 40

Logan’s run time

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

You could quote the Equality Act 2010 and this being an example of indirect discrimination of age which is unlawful.

Not suggesting you try to make a claim but its good to let recruiters know when they're on the wrong side of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            You could quote the Equality Act 2010 and this being an example of indirect discrimination of age which is unlawful.

Not suggesting you try to make a claim but its good to let recruiters know when they're on the wrong side of the law.
            I doubt you could argue (in law) that asking for 5-10 years experience is age discrimination. Asking for an upper range is a bit weird, but it could be, for example, that they have a salary scale that doesn't fit with 10+ years of experience. And, someone age 60 could still have, eg, 7 years experience in the skill and is able to apply.

Of course, the issue is that is almost impossible to prove any hidden prejudice a hirer might have - its always easy to say "wrong fit" and not "too old"

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Equally it shows you desperate agencies are for work - would you really spend time working on something when you have only a 7% chance of winning.
              Perfect example on Jobserve today, looks like the same role was given to 10 different agencies , each of which dutifully posted EXACTLY the same ad.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                Perfect example on Jobserve today, looks like the same role was given to 10 different agencies , each of which dutifully posted EXACTLY the same ad.
                Having had a good look at the market the only conclusion one can come to is that it’s a case of silent witness with the corpse being the contract market.

Paye/IR35 etc. is irrelevant at this stage, another quarter like this and we will start to see some agency desks go under.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

Are you seeking to join a young, energetic, and passionate company ... etc.

We do not discriminate on grounds of etc.

Comment

I doubt you could argue (in law) that asking for 5-10 years experience is age discrimination. Asking for an upper range is a bit weird, but it could be, for example, that they have a salary scale that doesn't fit with 10+ years of experience. And, someone age 60 could still have, eg, 7 years experience in the skill and is able to apply.

Of course, the issue is that is almost impossible to prove any hidden prejudice a hirer might have - its always easy to say "wrong fit" and not "too old"
                    And other clients more closely matched the requirements (i.e. they are young).

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                      I've seen an ad running for several weeks. Yesterday I noticed an ad saying the recruiter has the sole rights. The other ads are still running.

Comment

Working...
                      X