• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timesheets not getting approved

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timesheets not getting approved

Hello,

Ive been in this contract for about 4 months, and I have recently signed an extension for the contract for just under 6 months. I am really enjoying the contract and there have been no issues, however for the last 5 weeks, my timesheets have not been approved.

I got the contract through an agency, and at the end of each week, I submit a timesheet stating how many days I have worked that week. Previously the last PM was very proactive and usually approved the timesheet immediately (I think they get a email notification). However that PM left the company 5 weeks ago, and since then my timesheets have not been approved.

There is a new PM who has taken over a month ago, and I went through the process of getting the new PM on the agency timesheet system. I've spoken to him a few times and he confirms he has access to the system, but is waiting for permission to approve the timesheets from his manager. This is where things start to get a little strange.

Ive chased his manager, and she states he's allowed to approve them. I am at a bit of a loss on what to do. Im not desperate for the money as I have a lot saved in my company, but I was hoping to use this for a few months off for a baby.

Im I being mugged off here. a few fellow contractors, who i've worked with previously, say I should leave the contract, as it could be a cashflow issue with the company, or they are looking to get out of paying me. But im not sure if this is the case. They are quite a big company, but it doesn't make sense why my timesheets are not getting approved.

Any ideas on how I should take this further?

Originally posted by 2bFrank View Post
    Get the two of them together, either physically or on the same call. Then explain that you need the timesheets approving as they are in breach of contract.

Offer to add the senior manager to the approval chain with the agency so that she can do it if the other guy can't.

If there is still an issue, then terminate for material breach.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Get yourself on the market but keep working, keep invoicing until you have something else.

Raise it with the agent - they won't be getting any commission from this either. The agent will be more interested if they aren't getting their money.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What's you opt in/out status?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Five weeks you say ?

I would of been in the pub for the last four weeks...

No signy no worky.... its the only thing you really have to show you did some work for them. I give my clients a week before I start

If a client has an issue approving a simple time sheet I would see that as us being in dispute and it needs resolving.
          Last edited by dx4100; 4 May 2016, 09:34.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. Ive asked for a quick chat with the new PM and manager to make sure everything is ok and to see what the hold up is, in approving my timesheets. We will see what happens from here.

Northernlad, I opt'd out with the agency, knew I shouldn't but they insisted and I wanted the role. I think I need to understand the opt in/ out a bit more as well. Would this of helped in this situation?

DX4100, very true, i'm going to give it until the end of the week and see what happens, it will be 6 weeks then so think its enough goodwill.

Comment

Hello,
              Northernlad, I opt'd out with the agency, knew I shouldn't but they insisted and I wanted the role. I think I need to understand the opt in/ out a bit more as well. Would this of helped in this situation?
              Well it would kinda be a good idea to understand something before before signing up for it wouldn't it really.....

https://www.crunch.co.uk/blog/small-...ulations-2003/
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd tell the manager he needs to approve it by the end of the day (prefereable the day before the weekly/monthly timesheet deadline) or you'll need to escalate it. As others have said, mention it's a breach of contract and that you won't get paid without it. Ask him he needs any help with the system too in a really patronising tone (optional) and stand over him until he does it.

If he doesn't approve it. Escalate to the senior manager you've been talking to and your agency. Tell the senior manager it needs to be done by whatever the deadline is or you won't get paid and they are in breach of contract.

Comment

Do not get involved directly this is what the agency is for let them handle this. Just tell your agent though if its not resolved soon you need to look elsewhere as you need the money urgently. Its either the new PM playing silly buggers or they have cash flow issues. Worse case scenario is the new PM does not like/want you & has someone else in mind so they are trying to push you out. I insist on all timesheets being signed within a week otherwise I gently hassle until they do so. In future do not let it go this long without getting it signed as now its an issue the figure will be well into 5 figures if they boot you out without paying your going to spend several grand trying to pursue this. All IT contracts are only ever valid when you have all the money in your bank account! Good luck.

Comment

Hello,

Ive been in this contract for about 4 months, and I have recently signed an extension for the contract for just under 6 months. I am really enjoying the contract and there have been no issues, however for the last 5 weeks, my timesheets have not been approved.

I got the contract through an agency, and at the end of each week, I submit a timesheet stating how many days I have worked that week. Previously the last PM was very proactive and usually approved the timesheet immediately (I think they get a email notification). However that PM left the company 5 weeks ago, and since then my timesheets have not been approved.

There is a new PM who has taken over a month ago, and I went through the process of getting the new PM on the agency timesheet system. I've spoken to him a few times and he confirms he has access to the system, but is waiting for permission to approve the timesheets from his manager. This is where things start to get a little strange.

Ive chased his manager, and she states he's allowed to approve them. I am at a bit of a loss on what to do. Im not desperate for the money as I have a lot saved in my company, but I was hoping to use this for a few months off for a baby.

Im I being mugged off here. a few fellow contractors, who i've worked with previously, say I should leave the contract, as it could be a cashflow issue with the company, or they are looking to get out of paying me. But im not sure if this is the case. They are quite a big company, but it doesn't make sense why my timesheets are not getting approved.

You are dealing with this for 5 weeks and you are not be able to understand why he didn't sign your timesheets. This can't be happen.

If his manager give him the permition to sign your timesheets, you should need to have a serious conversation with you PM regarding this.

Have a meeting with him or with both if necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X