• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timesheets not getting approved

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You sure about that??......
    Whatever the contract says

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
      Whatever the contract says
      Doesn't mean it's in breach. Delivering something like time sheets on time, particularly if your opt out means you don't need it isn't material so will have to go on for a very long time before you can prove and win a breach claim. Just because something doesn't meet a contract word for word it doesn't always mean it's immediate breach.

Anyway, arguing about breach over some unsigned time sheets, even 5 weeks worth is a little bit silly.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Doesn't mean it's in breach. Delivering something like time sheets on time, particularly if your opt out means you don't need it isn't material so will have to go on for a very long time before you can prove and win a breach claim. Just because something doesn't meet a contract word for word it doesn't always mean it's immediate breach.

Anyway, arguing about breach over some unsigned time sheets, even 5 weeks worth is a little bit silly.
        If the contract says that the timesheets must be delivered within a certain time period, if that does not happen then there is a breach of contract.

Whether the breach is a breach of warranty or breach of condition is where it matters - because the level of remedy available to the affected party is different depending on that.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          If the contract says that the timesheets must be delivered within a certain time period, if that does not happen then there is a breach of contract.

Whether the breach is a breach of warranty or breach of condition is where it matters - because the level of remedy available to the affected party is different depending on that.
          Possibly but as I said its a bit of a ridiculous situation to be discussing. The theory of a situation like this really doesn't affect the outcome and even if it did it's so early on it can be argued as we are doing now.

As SueEllen pointed out the other day we don't have a copy of the contract so we must not give advice on breach of contract

You can throw breach in as a scare factor for the managers but otherwise forget all that and just get some talking done.

Comment

Possibly
            Nope - it's fact. If there is a clause with a deadline in it, and that deadline is breached, then there is a breach of contract. Whether it is breach of condition or warranty is what matters, but there is a breach.

As SueEllen pointed out the other day we don't have a copy of the contract so we must not give advice on breach of contract
            That's why I said "if"
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              I'd say my 16 years contracting vs your <1 would count for a lot actually.

You think you are so important you would be stamping your foot after 30 minutes like like petulant child?
              Good way to p*ss your client right off and bye bye renewal.

Ever gone direct, obviously not?

In addition, I didn't say I agreed with him either.
              Agree. 30 mins is a bit much to be moaning about. few days I'd say.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

That's not very good advice. For a start sitting back and letting the agent deal with it when the PMs are on site is a pretty poor way of dealing with the issue.
                Sorry but I disagree with you there. The no1 way to really upset the applecart is confront the PM over something so trivial to them. This is what the agency is for if you start getting involved in the office politics its not the best way to keep everybody happy is it! Let the agency deal with this its one of the only ways they can earn their commission why deprive them of that experience!! Some PM's want to let you know who is Boss (them not you). Others send a message they want you to leave by being awkward & not signing the timesheet. Some PM's juggle budget & delay payments to avoid going over budget for that period. Its rarely straightforward there is nearly always a good reason why some will not just sign the timesheet. Why get directly involved its not going to make getting a renewal (if its available) easier is it!!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  Sorry but I disagree with you there. The no1 way to really upset the applecart is confront the PM over something so trivial to them. This is what the agency is for if you start getting involved in the office politics its not the best way to keep everybody happy is it! Let the agency deal with this its one of the only ways they can earn their commission why deprive them of that experience!! Some PM's want to let you know who is Boss (them not you). Others send a message they want you to leave by being awkward & not signing the timesheet. Some PM's juggle budget & delay payments to avoid going over budget for that period. Its rarely straightforward there is nearly always a good reason why some will not just sign the timesheet. Why get directly involved its not going to make getting a renewal (if its available) easier is it!!
                  It's not trival. It's a contractual obligation, it's part of the PMs job and failure to do it will result in possible legal action against the client and increased costs. That is not trivial.

You sort issues like this in business by dealing with it at source. A vast majority of the time it will get unresolved without too much angst. Sitting back and letting a third party control your income is a poor way to handle any situation like this. It is your time sheet signed by your client PM so surely its your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    Its rarely straightforward there is nearly always a good reason why some will not just sign the timesheet
                    I can't think of one good reason from the contractors point of view why the timesheet isn't being signed. Its the first warning sign you are about to get screwed to be frank.

You do work, they confirm work as agreed, you get paid. Anyone who wants to mess with that cycle needs to be pulled up at the earliest opportunity and you do it directly with the person refusing to do their job / fulfil the agreed contract.

Comment

It is your time sheet signed by your client PM so surely its your problem.
                      This ^

Comment

Working...
                      X