• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Timesheets not getting approved"

Collapse

• dx4100
    replied
    nah its all fluff...

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Met plenty of permies who won't buy their share of cakes, or are too miserable to come to the pub.

The only difference is for us contractors, it might swing an extension over a miserable contractor when push comes to shove (budgets getting cut, whatever)

So to me, it's a no brainer to participate in this type of thing.

In fact, I'm sure it does affect permies too (bonus, promotion etc)

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Water and ducks backs come to mind

"Yeah we are getting rid of the contractor because he doesn't brew up" - Said no one ever
    It's been a long thread so excuse me please, but are we saying you never go to the pub or is it one of the county council sort of places where, when they go, they cheese real drinkers off by queuing up to buy and pay individually, while dangling their IDs on chains around their necks? Or are you of those that only goes occasionally, accepts a couple of drinks but never buys a round because you never (in your opinion) stay until it is your turn?

I only ask ask because if it is the latter, you owe me a few pints!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I was going to make a comment about jam doughnuts with strings, but I won't.
    Take one to the Antiques Roadshow and ask them which period it came from

Seriously, though, it probably depends on the sector. In IB, there's no need because they're all well paid anyway.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    We've established by now that your doughnuts come with strings attached so I'd refuse on principle

I was going to make a comment about jam doughnuts with strings, but I won't.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I get along with everyone I work with. I am polite and professional. I just am not buying you doughnuts
    We've established by now that your doughnuts come with strings attached so I'd refuse on principle

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    There is an element of what PC said that's true - if there's a choice of bringing two contractors back, they'd rather have the likeable one that gets the beer in than the moody ****, all other things being equal.
    I get along with everyone I work with. I am polite and professional. I just am not buying you doughnuts

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    8 years - 8 clients - Been backwards and forwards between some of those 8 clients so god knows how many individual engagements.

Some times working with more than one client at the same time.

You ?

Not really sure what this adds to the debate other than some sort of willy waving...
    No offence DX - I was having a dig or otherwise. I'd say then its worked for you so far, so no problem. Perhaps you're more popular than you think then ;-)

I was just wondering if it was your first gig. IMHO all clients are different and one "approach" might not work for all. Like I said, yours seems cool fair play.

Me? 20 years+. Number of clients probably about 10-11 if I remember correctly. Maybe I need to be nice to permies to hide the fact that I'm clueless and a bit of nobhead?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    THIS ^

I find there isn't a need to buy doughnuts... Its the quality and value of the work I do for them that counts above all else...
    There is an element of what PC said that's true - if there's a choice of bringing two contractors back, they'd rather have the likeable one that gets the beer in than the moody ****, all other things being equal.

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Have the time sheets been approved yet?

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    FTFY

Overall sentiment is fair enough, but I try to build business relationships rather than personal ones. If that involves buying a bag of donuts to cheer the permies up, so be it.
    THIS ^

I find there isn't a need to buy doughnuts... Its the quality and value of the work I do for them that counts above all else...

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    dx - not being rude or trying to wave my willy in your face or anything but how long you been contracting? How many clients you ever been at?
    8 years - 8 clients - Been backwards and forwards between some of those 8 clients so god knows how many individual engagements.

Some times working with more than one client at the same time.

You ?

Not really sure what this adds to the debate other than some sort of willy waving...
    Last edited by dx4100; 10 May 2016, 08:30.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OK, not just that. But like I said, NEVER underestimate permie power. All it takes is 2 or 3 permies bitching to the manager that contractor X is a stuck up bell end who think that he tulips mars bars and the seeds are sown.

Believe me its happened to me the other way round. Permies here are good as gold. I make sure I dont come across as a stuck up twat and try to help them out. Got the boot a few months ago due to budget cuts - few weeks later they asked me if I fancied staying after all and had re-jigged the budget.

Found out later that some of the permies had kicked off that I was going. OK, a lot of it was because they'd be left high and dry but this wouldnt have happened if they thought I was a twat anyway.

Little effort/cost required. Be nice and but beer/cakes/pizza now and again.

Last time, £15 of pizza and they were WELL impressed (for some reason). I've earned more talking tulip....
    FTFY

Overall sentiment is fair enough, but I try to build business relationships rather than personal ones. If that involves buying a bag of donuts to cheer the permies up, so be it.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I'm not so sure. Taking a 2 hour lunch break is a bit out of order.

Yes, why not 3?

On the current ClientCo site there are a couple of us contractors and when we're taken out to lunch/dinner, we'll get the bar bill while they get the dinner (and wine). Will not bill them for that.
    The rule doesn't apply if you're away on business, just if you're on a night out/lunch.

It separates us from the permies, who will get a receipt for every drink and claim them all back when on a social.

I guess it depends on whether you are polite and professional or not.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Water and ducks backs come to mind

"Yeah we are getting rid of the contractor because he doesn't brew up" - Said no one ever
    dx - not being rude or trying to wave my willy in your face or anything but how long you been contracting? How many clients you ever been at?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X