• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timesheets not getting approved

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Some of his behaviours are good - getting the first round in always helps, as does occasional donuts and other stuff that builds good relationships. I don't give free pens and stress balls out; people respond just as well to beer and cake in general. I wouldn't be doing the milk run though.
    Its all fluff really and if people want to do it then good luck to them...

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
      For sure... He sounds like a permie to me...
      FFS mun. Perhaps I should refuse to use the same bogs as the permies maybe?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Some of his behaviours are good - getting the first round in always helps, as does occasional donuts and other stuff that builds good relationships. I don't give free pens and stress balls out; people respond just as well to beer and cake in general. I wouldn't be doing the milk run though.
        tulipe all to do with anything. Just doing someone a favour. I could be the guy fixing the lights, who just happens to be walking past so picking up the milk!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Not on about after work. If they go out after work I might or might not go. If I do, I'll buy a beer. Last time I bought pizza for lunch - £15 for two large ones. They were WELL impressed with it. In the scheme of things earned that in the time it took me to eat it.

Nothing worse for permies than seeing the stuck up fella in the corner who thinks he's it knowing he earns more than them. At my client, I'm the decent guy who just happens to work slightly differently than them.
          God Bless you Sir! A little more of that spirit and hiring contractors would be less reprehensible than many managers believe it is!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Not on about after work. If they go out after work I might or might not go. If I do, I'll buy a beer. Last time I bought pizza for lunch - £15 for two large ones. They were WELL impressed with it. In the scheme of things earned that in the time it took me to eat it.

Nothing worse for permies than seeing the stuck up fella in the corner who thinks he's it knowing he earns more than them. At my client, I'm the decent guy who just happens to work slightly differently than them.
            Originally posted by Taita View Post
            God Bless you Sir! A little more of that spirit and hiring contractors would be less reprehensible than many managers believe it is!
            I'm not so sure. Taking a 2 hour lunch break is a bit out of order.

Comment

Sounds a bit part and parcel that.
              Not at all. I work for my client (consultancy) who has permies and contractors but I work on their client site. So theres a mix of end client employees, consultancy employees, contractors working for consultancy etc. All mixed in.

If someone from end client "normally" get the milk but if a permie from consultancy gets it instead then no-one is going to claim that person A is now "part and parcel" of the end client just because of this. They're still an employee of consultancy.

Everyone works together just in different forms.

Comment

What are they paying me to do ? A job for them or to be their mates...

I haven't had a client yet who hasn't had total respect for me and wanted to renew me (even if they couldn't due to budget or simply not enough work to justify). They tend to like the fact I actually do the work they are paying me to do with none of the fluff.

I think you are getting a picture I am not professional or polite. I don't sit in the corner telling everyone to do one I polite decline their silly requests and manufacture reasons why I won't bow down to office culture. Its all easily done.

Come out for a drink after work - I can't I have to pick kids up
                Come out to lunch
                - I can't I need to pick the kids up and need to leave on time (I generally don't do lunch so I can get out earlier)
                Fancy a brew - Tackled first day by saying I only drink water
                Someone buys me cakes - thanks but I am on a diet. Negates the need to buy them back

Everyone loves me... When all their tulip fails its usually me who gets them out of the tulip. I secretly despise them....
                "(even if they couldn't due to budget or simply not enough work to justify)" Good job some of your clients are polite then 'cos the truth might be more than you could bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
                  "(even if they couldn't due to budget or simply not enough work to justify)" Good job some of your clients are polite then 'cos the truth might be more than you could bear.
                  Water and ducks backs come to mind

"Yeah we are getting rid of the contractor because he doesn't brew up" - Said no one ever
                  Last edited by dx4100; 9 May 2016, 23:59.

Comment

"Yeah we are getting rid of the contractor because he doesn't brew up" - Said no one ever
                    OK, not just that. But like I said, NEVER underestimate permie power. All it takes is 2 or 3 permies bitching to the manager that contractor X is a stuck up bell end who think that he tulips mars bars and the seeds are sown.

Believe me its happened to me the other way round. Permies here are good as gold. I make sure I dont come across as a stuck up twat and try to help them out. Got the boot a few months ago due to budget cuts - few weeks later they asked me if I fancied staying after all and had re-jigged the budget.

Found out later that some of the permies had kicked off that I was going. OK, a lot of it was because they'd be left high and dry but this wouldnt have happened if they thought I was a twat anyway.

Little effort/cost required. Be nice and but beer/cakes/pizza now and again.

Last time, £15 of pizza and they were WELL impressed (for some reason). I've earned more having a tulip....

Comment

dx - not being rude or trying to wave my willy in your face or anything but how long you been contracting? How many clients you ever been at?

Comment

Working...
                      X