• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stick or twist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick or twist?

Hi all

Wanted to get some opinions from folks on here about a situation (and have a little rant!)

Went for an interview for a contract role last week Wed. This was the second interview (first was phone interview). Client was interviewing one other candidate from the same agency. I did OK, the other apparently did not do so well. Prior to the 2 of us, the client had seen one other person who was not hands on enough for the role. The interview process consisted of a rigorous scenario to work through (took about 2 hrs in total)

The first feedback I got was that the interview went well. The next day (Thurs) I got told that they thought it went well and they want to speak to a manager to prepare an offer on Monday. But, crucially, they did not say yes, which got the alarm bells ringing for me.

On Tues, I get a call from the agent saying that they (client) now want to interview another candidate who is recommended by a current member of the team. However, he gave me more feedback saying that the client had a lot of good things to say about my interview and they thought it went very well.

So - why interview someone else then?

My own view (and there is some pride here), is that I don't really need to play 2nd fiddle. Before the interview I knew it was between myself and someone else. Then, there's another candidate that enters the fray. It doesn't really fill me with confidence that they can't make a decision even when they feel they have the right candidate. This is a contract role.

The logical part of me says to just keep applying and forget about it all - if it comes through so be it. The other side of me is thinking to call the agent and pull myself out of contention and see how he reacts. After all, are they really going to interview this other candidate in the same rigorous manner? It seem's we're being used as fodder to shore up the numbers so that they can prove they've interviewed other people.

Any thoughts?

If they offer you the contract and you want it, take it. Otherwise don't. Forget any pride or suchlike and focus on the money.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      If they offer you the contract and you want it, take it. Otherwise don't. Forget any pride or suchlike and focus on the money.
      This.... And forget what the agent says. They aren't paid enough to give you bad news and deal with you ranting on the phone. I think you'd be surprised how many people get great feedback from the agent and don't get the gig.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        This.... And forget what the agent says. They aren't paid enough to give you bad news and deal with you ranting on the phone. I think you'd be surprised how many people get great feedback from the agent and don't get the gig.
        Understood - just feels a bit crappy to be pawned around and not have any control over it. I'd be fine with a no - but I don't get what game they're playing when they go from preparing an offer to interviewing others... but, point taken

Comment

And to be fair if you are the only runner I'd have seen the recommendation as well. If the current guy is respected the recommendation would have had some sway. Only having one candidate to consider and two ducks isn't the best position for the client to be in.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agree with the above, also to add dont bother withdrawing from the role with the agent, you may black ball yourself with any prospective future roles, now or further down the line

Comment

They might have made an offer to the other candidate, and keeping you hanging as the next in line if it falls through, so they don't lose the client to another agent.

Comment

The other guy is cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
                  Agree with the above, also to add dont bother withdrawing from the role with the agent, you may black ball yourself with any prospective future roles, now or further down the line
                  That won't happen. If they think they can make money out of you, they'll use you.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by avgjoe View Post
                    Hi all

Wanted to get some opinions from folks on here about a situation (and have a little rant!)

Went for an interview for a contract role last week Wed. This was the second interview (first was phone interview). Client was interviewing one other candidate from the same agency. I did OK, the other apparently did not do so well. Prior to the 2 of us, the client had seen one other person who was not hands on enough for the role. The interview process consisted of a rigorous scenario to work through (took about 2 hrs in total)

The first feedback I got was that the interview went well. The next day (Thurs) I got told that they thought it went well and they want to speak to a manager to prepare an offer on Monday. But, crucially, they did not say yes, which got the alarm bells ringing for me.

On Tues, I get a call from the agent saying that they (client) now want to interview another candidate who is recommended by a current member of the team. However, he gave me more feedback saying that the client had a lot of good things to say about my interview and they thought it went very well.

So - why interview someone else then?

My own view (and there is some pride here), is that I don't really need to play 2nd fiddle. Before the interview I knew it was between myself and someone else. Then, there's another candidate that enters the fray. It doesn't really fill me with confidence that they can't make a decision even when they feel they have the right candidate. This is a contract role.

The logical part of me says to just keep applying and forget about it all - if it comes through so be it. The other side of me is thinking to call the agent and pull myself out of contention and see how he reacts. After all, are they really going to interview this other candidate in the same rigorous manner? It seem's we're being used as fodder to shore up the numbers so that they can prove they've interviewed other people.

Any thoughts?
                    Disagree. My take on it is....

They've interviewed you and another guy but are not 100% happy. Too expensive maybe or don't tick every box. (Don;t worry clients have a list of 100 must haves and want someone for £50/day so no reflection).

They've not got this other option and want to see if hes the perfect candidate. But agent is not going to tell you this. He knows you're possibly 2nd choice at the moment but wants to keep you interested and hanging on in case it all comes together. Hes not gonna says client said you were ok but he'd prefer someone else is he?

Go with your logical side. The other option is cutting your nose off to spite your face.....
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X