• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will accountant really save money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to smile at threads like this (will an accountant save me money or anyone recommend the cheapest accountant).

The obvious retort is, if your rate wasnt in the toilet, you wouldnt be asking such questions. But, more importantly for me, at least, is, my time is too precious. I dont want to spend time keeping up to date with the latest HMRC bulletins or whatever to make sure Im claiming what I can and not claiming what I cannot. Neither do I want to spend time doing arduous paperwork and bookkeeping to save a couple of hundred quid a year. Oh, and I nearly forgot, I dont want the hassle of dealing with HMRC.

So thanks but no thanks, I'll continue to pay an accountant.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I don't think it's necessarily true using an accountant will mean your tax bills are reduced by more than their fees compared to you doing it yourself. There are not hundreds of crazy loopholes they can use for a contractor so you can learn the basics yourself.

The value is primarily in saving you the time and giving you the peace of mind that you haven't totally messed it up.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I don't think it's necessarily true using an accountant will mean your tax bills are reduced by more than their fees compared to you doing it yourself. There are not hundreds of crazy loopholes they can use for a contractor so you can learn the basics yourself.

The value is primarily in saving you the time and giving you the peace of mind that you haven't totally messed it up.
        I completely agree with this. In theory, if you had the time to sit down and read up on all the relevant legislation etc. then anyone could do it themselves but most people don't want to/don't have the time/inclination to do so, so they pay an accountant instead.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          I have to smile at threads like this (will an accountant save me money or anyone recommend the cheapest accountant).

The obvious retort is, if your rate wasnt in the toilet, you wouldnt be asking such questions. But, more importantly for me, at least, is, my time is too precious. I dont want to spend time keeping up to date with the latest HMRC bulletins or whatever to make sure Im claiming what I can and not claiming what I cannot. Neither do I want to spend time doing arduous paperwork and bookkeeping to save a couple of hundred quid a year. Oh, and I nearly forgot, I dont want the hassle of dealing with HMRC.

So thanks but no thanks, I'll continue to pay an accountant.
          well if 110 more a month isn't worth anything to you then a) you're rich (im not,yet), b) you don't care (I do) c) you didn't read kyosaki (I did)
          compound interest b**ch!
          Last edited by diseasex; 16 June 2015, 12:22.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
            well if 110 more a month isn't worth anything to you then a) you're rich (im not,yet), b) you don't care (I do) c) you didn't read kyosaki (I did)
            compound interest b**ch!
            £110 a month isn't nothing but how long is it going to take to earn you that, and is that time less than you'll spend doing your own accounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Bozwell View Post
              £110 a month isn't nothing but how long is it going to take to earn you that, and is that time less than you'll spend doing your own accounts?
              Do you do your accounts during the working day?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Bozwell View Post
                It's all about opportunity cost and risk.

I could do my own accounts, but I know that (a) I hate accountancy; (b) I'm not very good at accountancy; (c) I don't want to do it; and (d) if I get something wrong then I only have myself to blame for my costly mistakes.

My appetite for risk, coupled with my loathing of accountancy and my knowledge of my limitations means that I'm quite happy to pay for an accountant to do it for me.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  It's all about opportunity cost and risk.

I could do my own accounts, but I know that (a) I hate accountancy; (b) I'm not very good at accountancy; (c) I don't want to do it; and (d) if I get something wrong then I only have myself to blame for my costly mistakes.

My appetite for risk, coupled with my loathing of accountancy and my knowledge of my limitations means that I'm quite happy to pay for an accountant to do it for me.
                  To sum that up , it wont save money for a typical contractor but it will save a lot of hassle

Comment

To sum that up , it wont save money for a typical contractor but it will save a lot of hassle
                    Sadly in this day an age you have to assume a typical contractor doesn't have a clue what they should be doing so will need an accountant to save them money.

A better phrase might be
                    It won't save money for people that take contracting seriously but will... Etc etc

😁
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Assuming that you won't make any mistakes, and know the law, and know the ins and outs of what you can do, then yes.

If any of those assumptions aren't true, then that's not what I said.

HTH BIVMDI
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X