• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will accountant really save money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    It's a good point, and you've obviously done it well. But if someone comes on here with the mistaken belief that HMRC and Companies House don't worry about small companies, than maybe DIY accounting isn't for that person!
    Bold assumption based on one sentence. I did self assessments for 2 years and limited is more complicated but I did my homework. All im saying : Is accountant worth it in this case?
    Is the only risk a fine from companies house because you didn't know about law 2.3.72c ? Or not being able to submit returns at all due to miscalculations (which I'm certain I will be fine with)

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
      Bold assumption based on one sentence. I did self assessments for 2 years and limited is more complicated but I did my homework. All im saying : Is accountant worth it in this case?
      Is the only risk a fine from companies house because you didn't know about law 2.3.1c ? Or not being able to submit returns at all due to miscalculations (which I'm certain I will be fine with)
      Cojak will get this!!!

Go ahead and save yourself the money nothing will go wrong (). At least we'll have an entertaining tale of woe in 2 years time.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Is the only risk a fine from companies house because you didn't know about law 2.3.72c ? Or not being able to submit returns at all due to miscalculations (which I'm certain I will be fine with)
        Your lack of knowledge and experience, coupled with a propensity to argue every point from that position of weakness, implies that you're either a very bad sockie or you're heading for a disaster. If you're a real person, ratchet down your self-belief, get an accountant, work on your English, and focus on gaining some experience of contracting. Good luck!

Comment

Self assessment is a doddle. So far, pretty much every response has been that an accountant is worth it. If you know what you are doing, then you could be OK; if you don't then you won't.

If you are considering doing the accounts yourself, isn't one of the basic things that you should know what the penalties are for getting something wrong? Anyway, the answer to your question is "no".

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Cojak will get this!!!

Go ahead and save yourself the money nothing will go wrong (). At least we'll have an entertaining tale of woe in 2 years time.
            What he said, fill your boots, it's money well saved!

What can possibly go wrong?

Comment

I have yet to submit my accounts but I also know that Companies House or HMRC don't bother will small companies anyway

Here ya go ... https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...short-2008.pdf
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                What he said, fill your boots, it's money well saved!

What can possibly go wrong?
                Thanks for answers (these less hostile).

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  That doesn't show anything of the sort. That shows contractors avoiding the tax they would otherwise pay if they were One Man Ltd's.
                  Fair point

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Fair point
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Not that bold an assumption when the sentence is "but I also know that Companies House or HMRC don't bother will [sic] small companies anyway" which is obviously complete nonsense.

But to answer your question, my accountant has saved me money. Maybe I could have worked it all out, but it would have spent more time learning that and less time focusing on growing my business.

Comment

Working...
                      X