• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Elton John

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    I suppose the thing I see as a problem in all this is that lots of groups of people are being negatively effected, and this is just another of them, see also:

Hauliers
    Fishermen
    Anyone exporting anything perishable
    etc

Still on the plus side we have erm.... well..... ? But it's OK as long as you personally aren't negatively effected?
    Hauliers / farmers have exploited cheap labour for years now they have to pay a living wage. #cryforscumbags.

Fish stocks will regrow and fishermen will soon have exclusive access to British waters why do you think EU factory trawler owners are so miffed?

Exporting to a third country is different to being in the EU, this was known from the start and there are clear rules. For some reason the EU are playing silly beggars over this.

The pound is up to 2011 levels against the Euro.

Wages for poorly paid jobs are rising soon many jobs will no longer be subsidised by the government so large corporations can send their profits abroad.

Immigration is falling - more to do.

It does look like we will return to full employment fairly rapidly.

We have blue passports

The NHS has £350 million more a week.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I was also considering buying a holiday place in S. Europe, but that's gone the way of the dodo too. Still we've always got... umm.... Blackpool.
      We watch Place in the Sun on Ch4, and you still get people saying they plan to spend half the year in Spain and the other half in the UK.

They obviously don't realise you can't do this anymore.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Hauliers / farmers have exploited cheap labour for years now they have to pay a living wage. #cryforscumbags.
        It wasn't wages I was talking about difficulty of doing business internationally. Paperwork/barriers etc. I'm not sure why you're fixating on wages.

Fish stocks will regrow and fishermen will soon have exclusive access to British waters why do you think EU factory trawler owners are so miffed?
        That's not the problem though is it. The problem is that UK fishermen can't export fish they catch to the continent which is where the market is. Even assuming that they can get it there, because we're now a 3rd country UK fisherman can't now purify shellfish when it gets to the continent. This is a rule the UK helped set.

Exporting to a third country is different to being in the EU, this was known from the start and there are clear rules. For some reason the EU are playing silly beggars over this.
        What? You mean enforcing the rules which we helped set? Why, if there are clear rules, are the EU playing silly beggars?

The pound is up to 2011 levels against the Euro.
        That's some impressive selecting you've done there. You're presumably quite well aware that is was higher just before the Brexit vote than either now or in 2011?

Wages for poorly paid jobs are rising soon many jobs will no longer be subsidised by the government so large corporations can send their profits abroad.
        Whilst I agree the government shouldn't be subsidising any companies, certainly not ones which are technically profitable and funnelling profits via tax loopholes, the way to tackle that is to fix the tax system IMO.

Immigration is falling - more to do.
        So immigration is a bad thing?

It does look like we will return to full employment fairly rapidly.

We have blue passports

The NHS has £350 million more a week.
        And now you're just talking rubbish.

In any case I suspect I'll never change your mind.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

It wasn't wages I was talking about difficulty of doing business internationally. Paperwork/barriers etc. I'm not sure why you're fixating on wages.

That's not the problem though is it. The problem is that UK fishermen can't export fish they catch to the continent which is where the market is. Even assuming that they can get it there, because we're now a 3rd country UK fisherman can't now purify shellfish when it gets to the continent. This is a rule the UK helped set.

What? You mean enforcing the rules which we helped set? Why, if there are clear rules, are the EU playing silly beggars?

That's some impressive selecting you've done there. You're presumably quite well aware that is was higher just before the Brexit vote than either now or in 2011?

Whilst I agree the government shouldn't be subsidising any companies, certainly not ones which are technically profitable and funnelling profits via tax loopholes, the way to tackle that is to fix the tax system IMO.

So immigration is a bad thing?

And now you're just talking rubbish.

In any case I suspect I'll never change your mind.
          the last two whilst facts were a joke.

Uncontrolled immigration is bad. Only an idiot would think otherwise.

I mention wages because complaints about shortage of staff would be fixed by paying a decent wage. I have plenty of experience in hospitality and the wages are rubbish. I a number of friends who are lorry drivers and the wages and conditions are very poor.

The other stuff well times change so should businesses.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Not sure how homophobic posts have much to do with Brexit, except to point out how most homophobes are Leavers.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Uncontrolled immigration is bad. Only an idiot would think otherwise.
              But we've never had uncontrolled immigration. We only ever had freedom of movement and capital which is NOT the same thing.

I mention wages because complaints about shortage of staff would be fixed by paying a decent wage. I have plenty of experience in hospitality and the wages are rubbish. I a number of friends who are lorry drivers and the wages and conditions are very poor.
              More money won't necessarily make things better. Throwing more money at semi-skilled/highly skilled workers won't immediately make more available. I want a new kitchen fitting. There is no supply of builders. You can't immediately create craftspeople. They need training etc.

The other stuff well times change so should businesses.
              Stuff has changed because that's what some people voted for. I'd wager that not even most of those who voted leave wanted the current shambles we're in.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

But we've never had uncontrolled immigration
                Uncontrolled immigration from the EU. Not that that was the EU's fault as plenty of other EU countries have laws like you've 3 months to find work, or you must leave.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Uncontrolled immigration from the EU. Not that that was the EU's fault as plenty of other EU countries have laws like you've 3 months to find work, or you must leave.
                  Nope I'm afraid you're incorrect. Uncontrolled immigration was never a thing. What you're specifically talking about above is an EU wide mandate (including the UK), various governments just never bothered enforcing it.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/we-can-control...avent-done-it/

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Uncontrolled, or unrestricted? Not the same thing. If you have a legal right to move somewhere, that is not uncontrolled.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Not sure how homophobic posts have much to do with Brexit, except to point out how most homophobes are Leavers.
                      Yeah and most remainer s are anti-Semites, its a zero sum game.
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X