• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh how could we be so stupid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But house ownership in Switzerland is one of the lowest in the world so hardly much of a comparison no? Isn't there only something like only 30% of people aged between 25 and 65 that own their own homes.
    45% overall. And I did say that it is a very different scenario , but that's precisely due to the measures taken to prevent it being an attractive investment.

The point was that there are things that can be done to cool the housing market.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      45% overall. And I did say that it is a very different scenario , but that's precisely due to the measures taken to prevent it being an attractive investment.

The point was that there are things that can be done to cool the housing market.
      The Swiss housing market is probably the most expensive in Europe, I'm not sure you can draw conclusions from a housing market that is eye wateringly expensive and way beyond the reach of your average Swiss worker.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

The Swiss housing market is probably the most expensive in Europe, I'm not sure you can draw conclusions from a housing market that is eye wateringly expensive and way beyond the reach of your average Swiss worker.
        erm no looking at the price to income ratio it's better then the UK
        https://www.numbeo.com/property-inve...021&region=150

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

erm no looking at the price to income ratio it's better then the UK
          https://www.numbeo.com/property-inve...=2021®ion=150
          Show me a flat for sale that's affordable.

https://www.homegate.ch/
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

So... the UK government couldn't raise stamp duty, and give a discount based on how long you've held the property before selling.
            They couldn't possibly start to apply capital gains on house sale gains.
            They couldn't possibly bring in a wealth tax
            Couldn't change the law so gazumping isn't legal any more...

All temporarily of course. Just until the market has cooled down. You know, like how Income Tax was temporary.

https://www.homegate.ch/buy/3001019536 £280,000. Requires deposit of £56,000. Minimum salary to get a loan £47000 - which is the average salary of a worker in Switzerland.

Comment

£1000 a month gets you a 50m flat in Basel, doesn't seem to be over a kebab house!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

NAT is right our government COULD cool the housing market, they just choose not to.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

£1000 a month gets you a 50m flat in Basel, doesn't seem to be over a kebab house!
                  That's £200 extra.

Comment

That's £200 extra.
                    what about a merc parked in a wall?

Comment

So... the UK government couldn't raise stamp duty, and give a discount based on how long you've held the property before selling.
                      They couldn't possibly start to apply capital gains on house sale gains.
                      They couldn't possibly bring in a wealth tax
                      Couldn't change the law so gazumping isn't legal any more...

All temporarily of course. Just until the market has cooled down. You know, like how Income Tax was temporary.

https://www.homegate.ch/buy/3001019536 £280,000. Requires deposit of £56,000. Minimum salary to get a loan £47000 - which is the average salary of a worker in Switzerland.
                      I've said this many times on here before, there is no incentive to reduce house prices as the value of our house is what makes us feel 'wealthy'. If we feel well off, we're more happy to spend. We live in a mostly service industry economy so the government needs us to spend.

House prices drop, we stop spending.

And don't forget, the only people not happy about house prices are those without a property. Once someone gets on the ladder, they turn into the masses who wants to keep house prices high.

And as for gazumping ... there is no legal cure to this. At the point of gazumping there is no legal contract between buyer and seller, so you can't force someone to sell at price A when a new buyer has just come along who is offering A+x%. For all those who say Scotland works better ... no it doesn't - it's the exact same process. There are surveys, searches etc leading to exchange. At exchange you are committed to purchase/sell. The difference is, in Scotland, a buyer may be paying all this upfront and still not get the property (so effectively they've been gazumped).

The UK market is driven by supply and demand (and not as the xenophobes would have us believe, high immigration). The sales process is slow so people are reluctant to market their properties, so potential sellers are choosing instead to stay in their current homes and extend instead, rather than sell and move up the ladder.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X