• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh who guessed it the remainers made it up!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

oh maybe robots and active monitoring?
    Do you actually know what goes on caring for dependent patients? Maybe do some of your Googling and see if you can learn something. And then come back and tell the class why a robot won't work.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Right. So all low skilled migrants are carers? And who's saying high skilled ones would not be required to be tax paying citizens?

Immigration at all levels makes no sense, simple maths. It increases GDP but that is then shared among a a similarly increased population. It provides us with skills, -builders, doctors etc, but equally drives demand for skills - more houses needed, more patients etc.

One thing we cannot grow to match supply is land. We are losing our green spaces and an ever more crowded nation is increasingly less pleasant to in. A denser population also increases health issues like pollution and spread of disease.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Right. So all low skilled migrants are carers? And who's saying high skilled ones would not be required to be tax paying citizens?
        So you've added 2+2 and reached 5?

The previous comment was we can bring in tech and robots to remove low skilled immigrants. I was giving an example of a job that is performed by many immigrants and that cannot be replaced by high tech or robots.

Next ...

Comment

Anti Immigration is not racist.
          Nobody believes anti-immigration is racist. However, there are racist people, and it is hard to believe that they're pro-immigration.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Do you actually know what goes on caring for dependent patients? Maybe do some of your Googling and see if you can learn something. And then come back and tell the class why a robot won't work.
            Feck me you are a contrary arse. This is the trajectory, it will happen and soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...uce-loneliness

Robots that can hold simple conversations and learn people’s interests are to be deployed in some UK care homes after an international trial found they boosted mental health and reduced loneliness.

The wheeled robots, called “Pepper”, move independently and gesture with robotic arms and hands and are designed to be “culturally competent”, which means that after some initial programming they learn about the interests and backgrounds of care home residents. This allows them to initiate rudimentary conversations, play residents’ favourite music, teach them languages, and offer practical help including medicine reminders.

The researchers, led by Dr Chris Papadopoulos at the University of Bedfordshire, said the trial was not intended to explore the replacement of human carers with robots, but to help fill lonely periods when, because of a stretched social care system, staff do not have time to keep residents company.
            they have been doing this for a while and other councils are adopting it.
            https://www.local.gov.uk/case-studie...ng-amazon-echo

Hampshire County Council has made assistive technology a mainstream part of its adult social care work. The approach has helped it achieve substantial savings with 100 new referrals being made each week into the service. It is also not afraid to innovate, becoming the first local authority to use Amazon Echo to help residents.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Nobody believes anti-immigration is racist. However, there are racist people, and it is hard to believe that they're pro-immigration.

Yeah plenty of UK Indians hate other tribes in India and Pakistan.

Many weren't keen on the unfettered migration from the EU. More competition for jobs.

Are they the racists you are talking about?

Comment

Economic migration has been shafting India for a few decades. A lot of their brightest have moved to the US, UK and other places leaving the subcontinent bereft of talent to do their own projects. So encouraging immigration is damaging the source.

Just another thing to stir into the pot.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Yeah plenty of UK Indians hate other tribes in India and Pakistan.

Many weren't keen on the unfettered migration from the EU. More competition for jobs.

Are they the racists you are talking about?
                  It's a bad assumption to think that immigration/jobs is a zero sum game. It's not. More immigrants is more people to do work, but also boosts the economy so there are more jobs.
                  To be frightened of immigrants taking all the jobs is ignorance and a bit of racism (your competing with natives for the jobs already so why does the fact that some are immigrants make any difference?). Ignorance and racism go hand in hand.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Feck me you are a contrary arse. This is the trajectory, it will happen and soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...uce-loneliness

they have been doing this for a while and other councils are adopting it.
                    https://www.local.gov.uk/case-studie...ng-amazon-echo
                    What you posted there supports what I say, you do realise that don't you? That you are providing evidence against your own argument, or do you just post random links and hope something might help you. Here's a clue ...

the trial was not intended to explore the replacement of human carers with robots
                    No one would argue that an 'alexa' type thing couldn't help to take some loneliness away, but that's not providing care to those who need it most. I'm not prepared to go into details, but trust me mate, alexa is not and never will be the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

What you posted there supports what I say, you do realise that don't you? That you are providing evidence against your own argument, or do you just post random links and hope something might help you. Here's a clue ...

No one would argue that an 'alexa' type thing couldn't help to take some loneliness away, but that's not providing care to those who need it most. I'm not prepared to go into details, but trust me mate, alexa is not and never will be the solution.
                      Are you familiar with the term luddite?

Jeez how naive.

Comment

Working...
                      X