• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How about we do a merger with the Republic of Ireland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Assuming the UK leaves the CU and SM the logical thing would be for there to be a hard border between NI and Ireland.
    What issues would that cause do you think?
    Many, but probably only from those that want or support a united Ireland and therefore the break up of the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      Anyway why do we still listen to morons who believe in a skyfairy?

Hey that's no way to talk about the Mods.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        Your point being? NATO is just a talking shop, a bit like the UN.
        We can take over Ireland because we're a nuclear power and they're not, and they've not got their mates in NATO to back them up. Even in theory.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          We can take over Ireland because we're a nuclear power and they're not, and they've not got their mates in NATO to back them up. Even in theory.
          Nuke em. I like your thinking.

Comment

Many, but probably only from those that want or support a united Ireland and therefore the break up of the UK.
            So you support the break up of the EU, but wouldn't allow the breakup of the UK? Typical Brexiteer attitude.

NI voted to stay in the EU, so why not respect the referendum outcome (the thing you brexiteers keep going on about) and support a solution that can keep them in both Unions the EU and UK?
            Again YOU WON GET OVER IT

Comment

Ignoring the fact that the majority vote in NI was Remain, I think the main issue is that a hard border makes the British government explicitly (via its alliance with the DUP) side with the Unionists thus removing the fragile balance of power that keeps the peace from the Good Friday agreement.
              A hard border would very likely lead to a resumption of the Troubles.
              Yet another non-benefit from Brexit.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                So you support the break up of the EU, but wouldn't allow the breakup of the UK? Typical Brexiteer attitude.

NI voted to stay in the EU, so why not respect the referendum outcome (the thing you brexiteers keep going on about) and support a solution that can keep them in both Unions the EU and UK?
                Again YOU WON GET OVER IT
                Scotland voted to stay in so should they remain in the EU too. Whilst we're at it lets not forget that London voted to stay in. Perhaps we should have a hard border around London too.

I am over it. I was over it on day 1. No deal Brexit. The only option that is realistically on the table Lets leave now.

Comment

No deal Brexit. The only option that is realistically on the table Lets leave now.
                  I agree with you on that.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

And what about those who don't support a united Ireland but still want to do cross-border trade?

It's a very simplistic view to think that everyone who wants an open border also wants the break up of the UK.

That's just passing the blame from those who created the problem to the people who are actually living and working in the UK and Ireland.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hard brexit and a hard border between RoI and NI. Then don't enforce the hard border. What's the EU going to do, kick out RoI? Sorted.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X