• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple solution to the Brexit problem - stay in Europe AND cancel Freedom of Movement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    As you have demonstrated, they don't. Certainly not to the extent that EU member states have to.
    I was in Switzerland, they do.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

He'll get there in the end. Maybe.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

He's just thick.

He doesn't realise every European country has worked out how to chuck out people who beg etc after 3 months who come from another EU country except the British under FOM rules..

Even worse the last Home Secretary who could have implemented this to scupper the referendum was....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They're in denial ...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            OK (a) allows low paid workers - but Switzerland manages to make it impossible, so could we.
            Switzerland isn't in the EU. That's how they "make it impossible".
            Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Ostensibly, they have to abide by FoM, you ignorant cretin.
            That's the point.
            As you have demonstrated, they don't. Certainly not to the extent that EU member states have to.
            I live in Switzerland. You cannot work here if your income is below a certain limit, for more than three months, unless you meet certain criteria (like being a student for a low paid internship). However, contrary to what Mordac thinks, this is in line with EU law.

The reason the UK haven't done this, is because, unlike the rest of Europe, whose legal system is derived from the Napoleonic code, there is no requirement for people moving into a new town or village, to register with the local authorities. In the UK, there's no realistic way of policing it, without introducing some form of obligatory ID card, and/or making people register where they live. And that's not going to happen because "it's not British".

Yes, I know... electoral register, driving licence et. al. But it really isn't the same as having to carry ID around with you, demonstrating your right to be where you are.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The immigration Issue could have been solved easily. Stop non-EU immigration.

DC yet again showing how out of touch he was.

Comment

How do you explain the need to apply for a residency permit in addition to a work permit, both usually limited to 1 year? (There are quite a few to choose from, but then you knew that). Freedom of movement, and the ability to apply for a permit with very stringent restrictions, are not the same thing. Put me out of my misery and tell me which bits of this I got wrong.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

As others have said above we could have been stricter on low earners, those claiming benefit or criminals, had we chosen to do so. Our governments are too generous and too ready to implement EU rules that some others ignore.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I live in Switzerland. You cannot work here if your income is below a certain limit, for more than three months, unless you meet certain criteria (like being a student for a low paid internship). However, contrary to what Mordac thinks, this is in line with EU law.

The reason the UK haven't done this, is because, unlike the rest of Europe, whose legal system is derived from the Napoleonic code, there is no requirement for people moving into a new town or village, to register with the local authorities. In the UK, there's no realistic way of policing it, without introducing some form of obligatory ID card, and/or making people register where they live. And that's not going to happen because "it's not British".

Yes, I know... electoral register, driving licence et. al. But it really isn't the same as having to carry ID around with you, demonstrating your right to be where you are.
                    Tony Blair tried to introduce ID cards as he clearly knew he had fecked up.

There was a fight against it which the Tories backed.

Comment

How do you explain the need to apply for a residency permit in addition to a work permit, both usually limited to 1 year? (There are quite a few to choose from, but then you knew that). Freedom of movement, and the ability to apply for a permit with very stringent restrictions, are not the same thing. Put me out of my misery and tell me which bits of this I got wrong.
                      If you go to France, Spain, Finland, Austria etc and want to stay more than 3 months you need to register at the local town hall/police station/registration office, say what you are doing in the country and state/prove how you will support yourself.

If you don't you can be fined or chucked out of the country.

If you don't have a means to support yourself and you aren't married/have a long term partner who will support you, then you have to leave the country after 3 months for a period of time. This period can be as little as 24 hours. If you don't then you can be chucked out. Though most people aren't chucked out like Sarkozy chucked out the Roma they leave voluntary.

Comment

Working...
                      X