• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff (part 2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Most Brexiters voted out of a mistrust of the UK Government. A protest vote against UK inequality.

A pity they cannot vote for a party other than Labour or Tory.
    The traditional working class labour supporters most certainly did
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

They ain't stooopid and they ain't gonna hang around once the pound is worth cents on the euro (or whatever their home currency is)

Milan.
      So where are they going to go? Germany, maybe. France - no jobs, Spain - no jobs, Italy - no jobs, Poland - no jobs, Romanian - no jobs.

They'll be sticking in the UK until the EU can actually start creating employment.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        And your convenience is more important than the real economic damage the accession countries are doing by undercutting local labour?

If the visa was points based how likely is it you would be refused? I suspect very unlikely and it would probably in these modern days of computers be very fast to obtain.
        It is not a question of whether I'll be refused. That's a non-issue. Time and time again visa applications fall through (from those coming outside of the EU) because another resource has been found in the interim. The point is clients do not wait! Brexiters just don't get it. I can move from job to job in hours rather than weeks or months.

Local labour is not being undercut. Business just don't want to pay more. Blame the employers!! And customers in the supermarkets will be the first to complain at the increased cost of fresh produce plucked from their fields a year or two down the line when that local labour finally gets off their backside to do the work.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

they won't be undercutting local labour for long, the economic miracle will be Britain's post Brexit currency devaluation when UK workers become cheaper than the accession country's workers

Milan.
          If you think Eastern Europeans are going to return home just because the sterling has fallen then you have no clue. What are they going to return home to? Nurses and medical staff earn 700 Euros a month for 300 hours of work. Builders earn about £3.00 per hour if they can find any work at all. IT developers are not leaving their countries of origin anyway and EU graduates working in retail/hospitality jobs in the UK have no jobs to return home to anyway.

As far as currency devaluation is concerned we need this to improve our balance of payments
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            It is not a question of whether I'll be refused. That's a non-issue. Time and time again visa applications fall through (from those coming outside of the EU) because another resource has been found in the interim. The point is clients do not wait! Brexiters just don't get it. I can move from job to job in hours rather than weeks or months.

Local labour is not being undercut. Business just don't want to pay more. Blame the employers!! And customers in the supermarkets will be the first to complain at the increased cost of fresh produce plucked from their fields a year or two down the line when that local labour finally gets off their backside to do the work.
            You don't have a job so I am not sure you are in any position to make comments like this

Comment

The books would be a good read for anyone in the UK right now. A country operating a growing deficit. Engaging in endless QE. Help to buy programs. Unaffordable housing w.r.t earnings. A devaluating currency.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Just had a thought/brain fart, after Brexit does the Dublin Agreement apply to UK, because if not asylum seekers and refugees can just roll up to UK and the UK will have to accept them.
                well as all the other things we complain about are nothing to do with the EU according to the Bremaintards (apart from being either requirements of EU membership or clearly caused by EU policies) then I suspect we will not be covered by it. The Dublin convention does make us less able to refuse asylum seekers than before (the child refugees have family here and under EU law even if they are bogus they get to come in).

I suppose we will drop back to the Schengnen or previous agreements.

Before the Dublin Convention came into force, most EU member states used another piece of
                European law, called the Schengen Agreement, to decide whether or not they would accept and
                examine someone’s asylum application. In many cases, countries had readmission agreements with
                each other, which meant asylum seekers could be sent back to another European state if they had
                passed through it on their way to the country in which they had claimed asylum.

In the UK, this meant that any asylum seeker who passed through a ‘safe’ third country before
                reaching the UK was likely to be returned there and was expected to apply for asylum in that country
                (except where the asylum seeker had close family members already in the UK). In these
                circumstances, the UK government would refuse to even look at the substance of someone’s asylum
                claim, as it argued it had no obligation to under the terms of the 1951 UN Convention on Refugees.
                https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/as...in_aug2002.pdf

Maybe the 1951 UN Convention on Refugees is a good source? But it looks like fewer rights not more.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  You don't have a job so I am not sure you are in any position to make comments like this
                  50% of your earnings pay for taxes (hidden and otherwise). Why would you want a job?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    Socttish Independence a greater threat to Scotland's financial services than Brexit.

Have we done this one? Can't see it anywhere.

Basically, Scots leave the UK and English customers leave the Scottish banks. And in the meantime, Sturgeon is shafting her own economy by threatening another referendum.

Scooter would be worried, if he hadn't already abandoned his homeland and shifted to become an EU worker.

I have clients in Scotland. I also employ folks in Scotland from time to time. Becoming cheaper by the minute

Comment

I can fix that for you,

faster than you can say Brexit the foreigners will be gone once the pound devalues.

They ain't stooopid and they ain't gonna hang around once the pound is worth cents on the euro (or whatever their home currency is)

Milan.

You actually believe that?

They have moved here because there is work
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X