• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company phones, BYOD phone policies, etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company phones, BYOD phone policies, etc

ClientCo allows employees to choose between a company phone or BYOD but either way has some requirements on the device, which they are tightening to require certain software be installed. The requirement for secure devices includes contractors so I'm being asked to install tools on my phone.

From a practical point I might use my phone with other clients (I haven't a 2nd client now but quite often do run 2 part-time) and conceivably they might have similar requirements with other tools so I'm not too happy installing stuff.
    The client might offer me a company phone for work emails, Teams, and calls but does that raise any flags or is it a total non-issue that if my client requires I work on a secure device they provide it as a matter of course (I'm outside IR35).

The other option is I just don't have work email/Teams on my phone which would not be a huge problem 95% of the time and in fact has some positives.
    Does it matter at all?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I would use BYOD.
    There will likely be an issue if more than one client use an MDM solution. Apple and Android devices generally only allow management by one company. Cross that bridge as and when.
    Not relevant for IR35 IMO.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      I would use BYOD.
      There will likely be an issue if more than one client use an MDM solution. Apple and Android devices generally only allow management by one company. Cross that bridge as and when.
      Not relevant for IR35 IMO.
      Given the fact that they will want to install an MDM solution on my personal device I would be doing the opposite and insisting on a work device...

BYOD is easier but MDM adds whole levels of complexity and even risk depending on the competency of their IT department.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Given the fact that they will want to install an MDM solution on my personal device I would be doing the opposite and insisting on a work device...

BYOD is easier but MDM adds whole levels of complexity and even risk depending on the competency of their IT department.
        I can speak for Intune as I know that best.....
        When using a personally owned device Intune only allows certain controls over the device. When you enrol the device it tells you what can be done. It will not allow a wipe of the device, or a wipe of any non-company data.
        If the device is set as corporate owned it is quite different.
        So read the policy details when the management pack is downloaded (iPhone) or the work profile is installed (Android)
        I have less knowledge of the other platforms but my understanding is that it broadly the same.

The chances are that I am likely designing the MDM policy for my client though so I do have some prior knowledge, and I do have a set of test devices as well.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Buy a cheap phone and sim if you get another client.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

My current client has a simple rule: employees have to supply their own phone, and the company will install software on it, it is considered that all employees will have a mobile anyway, so no point in giving them a second phone. Contractors are all given phones with company software on it. It's only an iPhone 8, but it means none of their staff have my personal number and I can leave their mobile at my desk outside of my work time.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
              Buy a cheap phone and sim if you get another client.
              and there we have a business reason for multiple SIM/phone combos that get asks all the time with 'can my son/daughter/wife have a company mobile/laptop?'
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

My current client has a simple rule: employees have to supply their own phone, and the company will install software on it, it is considered that all employees will have a mobile anyway, so no point in giving them a second phone..
                To go on a bit of a tangent, are they forced to have a phone for work? Were I an employee I might take issue that my employment gives the employer rights to forcibly install software on my personal phone and just tell them I won't have email on my phone.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  To go on a bit of a tangent, are they forced to have a phone for work? Were I an employee I might take issue that my employment gives the employer rights to forcibly install software on my personal phone and just tell them I won't have email on my phone.
                  No, they aren't forced to have one, and most of the employees prefer the idea of only having one phone rather than carrying two around. I don't hear too many of the senior managers objecting to it, and the kind of people who think they are so important that they need a second phone, those are exactly the people who shouldn't have one as it's a waste of money.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

No, they aren't forced to have one, and most of the employees prefer the idea of only having one phone rather than carrying two around. I don't hear too many of the senior managers objecting to it, and the kind of people who think they are so important that they need a second phone, those are exactly the people who shouldn't have one as it's a waste of money.
                    these are the same people who object to using their personal phone for MFA. Having done MFA for may tens of thousands of users I've never had a client buy a single phone for one of those whingers (and there were many of them).
                    Perhaps the offer of an old Nokia phone, with about 2 hours battery life, and a PAYG SIM with no credit, that they have to carry all the time put them off the idea of a 2nd phone

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X