• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming mileage - and petrol receipts....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said, it's to claim the VAT back on the mileage. You just need receipts to cover at least the VAT that's reclaimed.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Yep me neither.....
      Yes you have.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Even though I claim mileage allowance, accountant has said I need to keep receipts for petrol just to prove I did physically put fuel in the car !!!!! Dont understand that since I'm flat rate registered as well so VAT doesnt come into it either.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        AFAIK they only need it if they're reimbursing the actual costs of travel. If they're reimbursing the standard mileage rates, then there are no receipts - just a log. They can't claim VAT back for petrol unless the petrol has actually been used for business. Seems a bit dodgy to me. But much of what you and yours do falls into that category.

Best case - they just want some evidence that expense has been incurred. In 14 years of permiedom I've never encountered this requirement.
        then either your employer wasn't claiming perfectly legitimate VAT back on business miles, or they didn't feel they'd have to prove it. I have done (collected and provided receipts) in at least two permie roles, and my accountant expects them for my LTD.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

then either your employer wasn't claiming perfectly legitimate VAT back on business miles, or they didn't feel they'd have to prove it. I have done (collected and provided receipts) in at least two permie roles, and my accountant expects them for my LTD.
          This is what happens when the only mod on the site isn’t based in the UK and so hasn’t got a clue how the UK now works

we see it here when talking about a technical VAT issue and I’ve seen it elsewhere where he was talking about working via an umbrella company
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Whenever I've claimed mileage in the past it's been on a personal vehicle. Claiming fuel receipts has been on a rental car or when borrowing someone else's company car.
            Typically they give it you full and you provide receipts to cover what you've put in.

If it's a pass-through to client, then it will depend what the client have agreed. They may simply want the receipts as proof of mileage (having no doubt been asked to do so by compliance/AML policy) incurred.

The laws are very clear on the HMRC website and anything over and above that will probably, as I said, be about AML/arse-covering.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

This is what happens when the only mod on the site isn’t based in the UK
              At least I know I'm not the only mod on site.

When I did contract in the UK, I did reclaim VAT.

Anyway here it say.
              From 1 January 2006, you must retain invoices issued to your employees when the fuel is delivered to them. This can be a full VAT invoice or a less detailed VAT invoice. Input tax may only be claimed on the cost of fuel for business use in making taxable supplies. As such, the invoices only need to cover this amount.

I just wonder how hard it would have been for you to find that, point PS and me at it - you know, be helpful like you normally are, instead of sniping?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
                As others have said, it's to claim the VAT back on the mileage. You just need receipts to cover at least the VAT that's reclaimed.
                I like the fact we get an accountant who knows what is happening and we still have people posting things that are completely wrong.

here for those people who are arguing otherwise is hmrc internal guidance

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...t-tax/vit55400
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I like the fact we get an accountant who knows what is happening and we still have people posting things that are completely wrong.
                  and the first answer in the thread said the same....
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

here for those people who are arguing otherwise is hmrc internal guidance

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...t-tax/vit55400
                    What really happened is a bunch of people shared their personal experience, without pretending to be experts. Eventually, one of the experts provided irrefutable back up to what they say. Most of here are experts in certain areas of IT. We still get things wrong. Even factually wrong. I'd hope were humble enough to be challenged by non-experts.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

What really happened is a bunch of people shared their personal experience, without pretending to be experts. Eventually, one of the experts provided irrefutable back up to what they say. Most of here are experts in certain areas of IT. We still get things wrong. Even factually wrong. I'd hope were humble enough to be challenged by non-experts.
                      Gentlemen, gentlemen. Can we get back to the important point of this post which is to ridicule the OP for asking a numpty question he's already asked once already. Thank you.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X