• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming mileage - and petrol receipts....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming mileage - and petrol receipts....

Not me my Mrs whos working for a private company and does business travel.

They've said every expense claim has to have at least one petrol receipt. Why? What exactly is the point?
    500 business miles, probably same personal miles and they want a receipt for £60 worth of petrol...

Its her own car and she claims mileage for the business miles.
    Never in all my years, as a contractor, or employee have I ever had to stump up petrol receipts.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

They've said every expense claim has to have at least one petrol receipt. Why? What exactly is the point?
    500 business miles, probably same personal miles and they want a receipt for £60 worth of petrol...

Never in all my years, as a contractor, or employee have I ever had to stump up petrol receipts.
    cos they (the client) cannot claim VAT back without a receipt
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

cos they (the client) cannot claim VAT back without a receipt
      What relevance though does a random receipt for £50 say have for a claim of 1000 business miles?

Comment

What relevance though does a random receipt for £50 say have for a claim of 1000 business miles?
        I think you will find they will want more than 1 receipt.

I was told years ago that I needed enough receipts to cover the fuel consumption for the miles being claimed. Which is probably 3 receipts for 1000 miles
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They only want to prove you've bought enough petrol to cover the mileage you are claiming for. It's not in the least unusual; even my National Trust volunteer expenses have the same rule.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's to stop feckless idiots that take the piss at every turn...
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

AFAIK they only need it if they're reimbursing the actual costs of travel. If they're reimbursing the standard mileage rates, then there are no receipts - just a log. They can't claim VAT back for petrol unless the petrol has actually been used for business. Seems a bit dodgy to me. But much of what you and yours do falls into that category.

Best case - they just want some evidence that expense has been incurred. In 14 years of permiedom I've never encountered this requirement.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Talking of feckless idiots..

One of them asked exactly this in 2011 and was told by his accountant to keep them. Never having to stump them up doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't keep them.
                https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...allowance.html
                Last edited by northernladuk; 6 April 2021, 09:53.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  AFAIK they only need it if they're reimbursing the actual costs of travel. If they're reimbursing the standard mileage rates, then there are no receipts - just a log. They can't claim VAT back for petrol unless the petrol has actually been used for business. Seems a bit dodgy to me. But much of what you and yours do falls into that category.

Best case - they just want some evidence that expense has been incurred. In 14 years of permiedom I've never encountered this requirement.
                  Yep me neither.....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I think you will find they will want more than 1 receipt.

I was told years ago that I needed enough receipts to cover the fuel consumption for the miles being claimed. Which is probably 3 receipts for 1000 miles
                    Thats just it - one receipt needed per month - which is about 1000 miles.

Comment

Working...
                    X