• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2nd hand motorcycle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd hand motorcycle

So I've purchased a 2nd bike for £4350. Would it be worth sticking it on the company to offset against my profits since my BIK is 20% I think? Also I assume I can't claim any VAT back because its 2nd hand?

I owe 18k in CT, I paid this years off early, so I owe 9k technically now am but sure a rebate would be possible.
    Last edited by mgrover; 6 April 2020, 12:42.

As long as you only ride it to work and back, leave it away from your home so it is available to others if necessary and cover it with proper business insurance, put it on the books as an asset and depreciate it at a sensible rate, then that will be fine.

I suspect that won't happen...

Has it also occurred to you that such imaginative use of YourCo and its status is one of the main reasons why we have IR35, LCAG, Off-Payroll land all the other nonsenses we have to deal with...?

Thought not.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You definitely have to make sure that business use is included in the insurance cover.

The cost of that alone may give you pause for thought over the viability of your scheme.

Comment

From the information given. No.

Ty.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You can purchase the motorcycle as a Company Asset. Forget about the VAT, as you have noted.

The cost of the motorcycle will be written off in full, in the Corporation Tax return, to be set off against Taxable Income. The asset will be recorded as a Fixed Asset and depreciated in YourCo.'s book. The Depreciation will be reversed in the Corporation Tax return.

This will be a benefit in kind which is reportable on form P11D in the future, where 20% of the cost of the bike, plus 20% of the running expenses in connection of this will be a benefit in kind. The company will pay NI on this at 13.8% (but it will also save CT on this NI at 19%) and you will pay tax on this via your tax code (applied to your salary) at your highest tax rate.

IANYA
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            As long as you only ride it to work and back, leave it away from your home so it is available to others if necessary and cover it with proper business insurance, put it on the books as an asset and depreciate it at a sensible rate, then that will be fine.

Has it also occurred to you that such imaginative use of YourCo and its status is one of the main reasons why we have IR35, LCAG, Off-Payroll land all the other nonsenses we have to deal with...?

Thought not.
            I was under the impression a bike fell into the peculiar category of plant equipment, and didn't class as a company car or vehicle.

Not saying it's a smart move, but it seems there's more to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              I was under the impression a bike fell into the peculiar category of plant equipment, and didn't class as a company car or vehicle.

It does which is where the vague tax benefits come in (he might save a few quid in corporation tax).

See Tax benefits of company motorbikes - AJN Accountants

As with all vehicles (except electric cars at the moment) he is probably better just buying it personally and claiming mileage.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                It does which is where the vague tax benefits come in (he might save a few quid in corporation tax).

As with all vehicles (except electric cars at the moment) he is probably better just buying it personally and claiming mileage.
                Only if he does high mileage, and if the vehicle used primarily for business travel.

Buy it, use it and enjoy it.
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Thought not.
                  Whys it imaginative use? The bike would be used for both business trips, personal pleasure and insured appropriately so not sure why its a problem? Why does some other business get to have a company vehicle but if I do it am a bad guy? Its simple maths, whats more efficient, paying the CT + Personal tax or paying the BIK

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  You definitely have to make sure that business use is included in the insurance cover.

The cost of that alone may give you pause for thought over the viability of your scheme.
                  Indeed thats a given

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  From the information given. No.

Ty.
                  Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  You can purchase the motorcycle as a Company Asset. Forget about the VAT, as you have noted.

The cost of the motorcycle will be written off in full, in the Corporation Tax return, to be set off against Taxable Income. The asset will be recorded as a Fixed Asset and depreciated in YourCo.'s book. The Depreciation will be reversed in the Corporation Tax return.

This will be a benefit in kind which is reportable on form P11D in the future, where 20% of the cost of the bike, plus 20% of the running expenses in connection of this will be a benefit in kind. The company will pay NI on this at 13.8% (but it will also save CT on this NI at 19%) and you will pay tax on this via your tax code (applied to your salary) at your highest tax rate.

IANYA
                  Thought as much thanks

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

Originally posted by eek View Post

All in all it doesn't seem worthwhile in this case given I can't claim back the VAT and knocking basically £800 off my CT isn't all that worthwhile.

Cheers for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by mgrover View Post
                    Whys it imaginative use? The bike would be used for both business trips, personal pleasure and insured appropriately so not sure why its a problem? Why does some other business get to have a company vehicle but if I do it am a bad guy? Its simple maths, whats more efficient, paying the CT + Personal tax or paying the BIK
                    The clue was in the third paragraph. Or to put it another way, because you can doesn't mean you should.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X